10 month update

Discussion in 'Coral' started by ziggy222, Dec 13, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

heres an update of my tank at 10 months.its going well.i'm no longer adding things,i'm just going to left it grow from here on out.i just change my carbon and 10 gallons of water every month and i need to replace a few snails.oh and i'm thinking i may need new bulbs at some point so i'm thinkin about that.i've bulit a new stand but i'm not using it till i make a new sump.my sump was made from a 10yr old tank and i don't trust it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

my goal is to no longer be able to see the rocks because of the corals.

2. Click Here!

3. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

Right on! Looking great!

LoL that's MY goal too! ;D I got a ways to go though.... :worried:

4. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Great looking tank Ziggy. Keep up the great work!!!!;D I have reached to the point that I cant add anything to my tank. Just regular water changes and testing the water.

5. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

10 months is all it took to get it to look like that??? WHAT AM I DOING WRONG:confused::confused::confused:

It looks really good Ziggy!! lots of very nice colors!

6. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

i'm glad to see my tanks apriciated.i really have no idea what i'm doing right.i use tap water with a ppm of 534.regular instant ocean salt.i have sps mixed with lps and soft corals.4 54 watt 10 month old t5 bulbs with no fan.as i said before i change 10 gallons a month.i mix it right before changing.acording to some people my tank should of crashed by now.i'm not going to get too brave though.i'm sure with just a little more neglect it will go downhill fast.

7. jasno999

jasno999 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Yes I bet a lot of people have told you you are doign things wrong and your tank will crash and ya-da-ya-da.... Don't listen to them. Don't listen to all the crazy things people insist you have to do for things to work and for you to have a healthy tank....

From what I see your tanks looks good and that means you are doing something right. Just keep doing it and check your water parameters out every now and then to make sure things are ok.

I do say I am suprised that you are not gettign algae issues using tap water but if not then keep using it. I would check phosphate leves just to know what they are but good job my friend.

8. Click Here!

9. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Yep ziggy...looking good.

I use tap water also...no algae issue whatsoever.

Do regular water changes to make sure no toxin/metal buildup.

Cu is my biggist worry. But run some cuprisorb in sump and check for monthly. No sign of todate...4+ years.

10. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

11. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

Man I wish I could just use tap water! If I used our water here, I would hate to think what would happen. :eek: By the time our water gets to where I am at from lake Michigan it goes through 9 other communities! Our water is so full of treatment chemicals and other crap when you turn on the tape it makes your eyes water.

My wife was using it on her FW tank and she couldn't understand why she had to clean the algae off the walls of the tank every other day. I told her to start doing her water changes using RO water. It been about 2 1/2 months now and she had to go out and by Algae wafers for her Pleco and the two big blue snails

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

534!

Man there must be something in there your corals like. I've never heard a reading that high. Have you tested with a different TDS meter?

You know I love that tank!