10 gallon with metal halide

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by telamont, May 26, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. telamont

telamont Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Im trying to find out why some corals aren't doing well. I built my girl a ten gallon with some sort of small halide off of craigslist. Its been set up about half a year now. It got hot during spring so we had to put a fan blowing on the top of the water on a timer with the light. The temp is always fine. She tops off every day a glass or two of water. Water changes 10% once a week. Water parameters are good phosphates nitrates ammonia 0 and calcium and KH are good. In the pictures I tried to show a couple of the corals that arent doing well. Maybe its the livestock in there with 4 sexy shrimp, an emerald crab, harlequin shrimp, and pom pom, but I dont think it is. At most I feel the sexys may be nipping at the tips of the birds nests. I took most of the corals from my main tank and into hers. My main was a 60 with T5HO.

In the second picture if a rock with zoanthids i think they were even called creamsickles. It looks like a lot of them are dying. Maybe too much light? But some look great and they are facing the light even looks like they are "reaching" for it. Could the energy thats left in the colony just be going to these last ones or something? This coral is at the bottom of the tank.

The third picture is the birds nest. Its placed pretty close to the bottom with moderate flow and it never looks totally happy. Polyps are never extended a lot and it looks very brittle rather than bushy. She has never dosed anything other than typical fish food so maybe the tank is missing something.

The last picture is some clove polyps. They used to grow like crazy in my main tank then when i moved them here they almost all died. Some are back now and it seems to be doing better but still never been the same.

Any thoughts on the light? I think thats really the only thing that could be causing a problem im not sure. Sorry for the long post hope to hear from someone, thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

My Sexy's are forever messing with my zoa's.

4. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

5. Rawdogz

Rawdogz Torch Coral

Agreed,my sexys nipps at my birdnest and zoa. I am wishing for the day they travel down to the sand so my p. Shrimp or goby can eat them