10 gallon experiment

Discussion in 'Algae' started by MrOcean, Jul 30, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. MrOcean

MrOcean Bristle Worm

I have had a ten gallon sitting around for a while now. I've decided to try an experimental tank.

I'm going to try an all natural filtration nano with just live rock, macro and flow. Maybe one or two small fish and a few snails.

My question is I want to fill this thing with marco and have the cost be as low as possible. I was thinking about using a standard shop light with a 6700k bulb like I have over my sump on my 30 breeder.

Will that provide enough light for the macro? If not, what is the easiest and least expensive alternative.

Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Over a 10 gallon that should be plenty of light for just macro algae.

However, I would not suggest more than one or two gobies for livestock, and that was if you were running additional filtration (eg, skimmer). You could add all the snails you want. They are great cleaners.

4. Chance

Chance Bubble Tip Anemone

With no mechanical filter, even 2 fish would make that nasty protein build-up on the water surface. Maybe a big Hermit or a few porcelain crabs?

5. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

That's right.

Hermit crabs will do just fine. But I do think a porcelain crab would be a good choice in addition.

You will get the protein even with very little livestock. But for just the crabs, you can remove what protein does show up, with some paper towels/newspaper. I would do this at least twice per week.

6. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

Shrimp too, maybe even some soft corals and a rock anemone.

7. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

The protein build-up is the biggest issue. You have to dab the surface with a paper towel. Gets to be a PIA.

I ran a 20 long for my OSFF after it started picking on the corals. Only live rock, some hermits, macro algae, heater and a power head. After about a month, the water became extremely clear, and nitrates dropped to zero. After that, the protein layer would build up pretty fast. Fairly low maintenance, though.

8. Click Here!

9. MrOcean

MrOcean Bristle Worm

Thanks for the input everyone. Any other ideas are welcome!

I got the tank started last night with some water change water from my 30 breeder. Also added a chunk of chaeto from my sump.

10. Chance

Chance Bubble Tip Anemone

Sounds like a good start! Using W-C water is a good way to avoid a cycle. I've done this with my current 20 long, and my First tank. And I'll do it again with my new mantis tank! :D

11. MrOcean

MrOcean Bristle Worm

Here is a picture...

[​IMG]

12. MrOcean

MrOcean Bristle Worm

Bare bottom, old Hydor powerhead and probably 20-25lbs live rock and chaeto and an old shoplight with a 6700k bulb. Total investment so far $15 for the glass lid to avoid evaporation.