10 gal Stock?

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by flcracker, Feb 23, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. flcracker

flcracker Astrea Snail

Right now I've got a small ocellaris clown, pearly jawfish (which I never see), two peppermint shrimp, two scarlet hermits, a turbo snail, and a tuxedo urchin. I am planning on adding a few small corals, maybe an anemone once my light arrives.
    Would another small fish be too much or could I get away with it? All my water parameters are good and I do partial water changes every 7-10 days. I figured since the jawfish just hides all the time one more small fish wouldn't be too bad. Opinions?

2. Click Here!

3. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I might try a pair of clowns especially if you plan on an anemone but one more fish would be it. Others may have different opnions on this......I love jawfish. It's a shame you never see it.....maybe it will move at some point and build a little tunnel towards the front. I hope I don't get bashed for this, but if he doesn't move over time, perhaps you could try filling in his burrow to see if he moves....

4. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

i wouldnt add another fish, and IMO esp a clownfish. A tank that small, the clown that is in there right now will probably not accept it and try to kill it.

5. flcracker

flcracker Astrea Snail

I had two clowns originally, but one got stuck between the glass and my live rock and died :cry:

I hate that there is two fish in there but I only seen the clown, thats why I wanted another small fish.

6. two-tang clan

two-tang clan Plankton

I personally wouldn't keep more than 1 fish in a tank that small.

The jawfish is a very shy fish so it will likely be scared away any time you approach the tank to view it. What kind of substrate do you have? You'll be able to see more of the fish if you provide a deep sandy bottom where he can dig a burrow.

7. flcracker

flcracker Astrea Snail

Ive got about 3-4 inches of CC for the jawfish to dig in

8. Click Here!

9. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

the jawfish is probably not liking the crushed coral. they normally like the sand better.

10. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

+1 to this, I'd stay where you are and maybe re home the jawfish and MAYBE get another small tank fish, check out
    Nano Fish

11. BoB123

BoB123 Spaghetti Worm

I have a10 gallon with a pigmy angel, pair of clowns, 2 green chromeis, a manderine goby and some really tiny goby that I caut. I do 20% water changes weekly and do very small feedings of mysys about 8 times a day. My tank has been set up for a year and two months.

12. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Not something I would ever recommend.

It may work for you but I would never encourage others to try it.

To address the intent of the thread. No I would not add any more fish to your 10 gallon system.