1 year today cancer free!

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by zesty, Oct 10, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Rhameolution

Rhameolution Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Congratulations! You may be interested to know, they offer cheek swabs in basic training (at least for the U.S. Navy) to test for possible bone marrow donors, and offer a week off in Washington DC if you match someone who can use it so you can fly and donate. The National Marrow Donor Program (who sponsors Be The Match) does some great work, I'm glad they got you all better!

2. Click Here!

3. APC

APC Gigas Clam

Congrats to you! That is a big milestone. My job has me spending a lot of time in Pediatric Oncology centers, and it is always amazing to me to see how strong and resiliant people can be! Keep a postive attitude and best of luck!

4. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Wow Matt,

I'm a Medical Guy and don't think you ever mentioned it either!

I'm really happy for you, cool tattoo also.

PM me with the details if you don't mind, or come by with your daughter anytime too!
    I have some good homebrew right now.
    (don't worry folks, I'm not after his daughter, she plays well with my 10 y/o son)

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Congrats on being cancer free! Unfortunately, I had to remove your image. You know...the whole "family site" thing. Sorry :(

6. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

amcarrig, I'm sorry, I didn't even think about that. I kinda got the same speech from my GF when I got it and have a 6 year old... I however, put this in a place that I only get to see it as it's a reminder to me to stay strong.

Todd, yeah, I don't bring it up that much. This one year deal is a pretty big deal for me and the relapse number go way down after this date. And yeah, Maddy will have to come over to play one of these days!

I don't mind spreading the PG details. I have/had Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma. First found in April of 2009, diagnosed with cancer in October of 2009. It took that long and the NIH to find out it was cancer... fun. So, I've been fighting with surgery, radiation, chemo and two stem cell transplants and now I'm healthy and plan on staying that way!

That's awesome to hear Rham! the bethmatch.org is not widely known but it's so easy to sign up and get tested.

APC, it's amazing what people can come up with in such a crappy situation to get them through it. My daughter was my main inspiration and still is.

7. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Congrats Zesty! That is such great news! Does this experience contribute to you're always being so upbeat?? and laughing all the time? So happy for you with such a huge milestone!

I wondered about the tattoo because I didn't see it. I'm sure I can guess pretty close :)

8. Click Here!

9. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

thank you. No, being upbeat is just me, if anything these past 5 years has taken me down a few notches.
    I don't think without my daughter I could be this upbeat and happy today. It's the best thing to have in my life! She is my inspiration and she is the reason I get up and go every morning. Cause believe me, some mornings.... no way do I want to get up.

The tattoo, yeah take a guess. It rhymes with "truck cancer"