1 of my 2 Clowns just died....

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by xeddyboi420x, Jan 14, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

dKH/KH/Alkalinity: don't know

You really need to know this. Especially if you're adding baking soda. If this got too high or too low that could've done it.

From the time frame, my guess is the clown had to live through some of the cycle and that stressed it on top of any other stress it may have had.

2. Click Here!

3. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Hello, my assessment is you got a weak fish. If the fish was pale as you said, don't buy it. So, weak fish in a cycling tank and you mentioned you added more rock a day before which could cause a die off and ammonia spike so that put the little fellow over the edge.

4. xeddyboi420x

xeddyboi420x Bristle Worm

the other one seems fine... just shy...

or maybe i've interpreting shy as stressed? cuz the clown does eat but it just sits in it's little cave all day when i come near.... i don't know what do you guyz think? any personal experience? it's been around 2 weeks i thought that that would be enough time for the clowns to acclimate....

5. xeddyboi420x

i think it has Brooklynella.... going to treat as soon as i'm off work...

6. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

ph low and a new tank they were probably stressed and couldn't make it. Bring items into alinement and try again. sorry for your loss.

7. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

I wouldn't treat unless you know for sure. There has already been too many unknows don't start dosing for stuff you are not 100% on. Take it slow.

8. Click Here!

9. xeddyboi420x

ok so i went to my local LFS and they told me to get some garlic guard and vitamin and that's what i got.... now treating the last clown i have left... hopefully it'll be better tomorrow....

10. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

+1, you need to know these things just like he said.

11. iSKIM

iSKIM Astrea Snail

Btw, to answer your question.. Yes, test kits do expire and can give inaccurate readings

12. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

Your pH is low, so in their world, they were living in acidic water. Another thing to consider is, did you slowly accimate the fish or did you just put them into your tank straight from the LFS bag? Test your dKH as well. 2 weeks is far too soon to add anything in your tank, other than top off water for evaporation. Shame on your LFS for selling you the fish so soon. Cycling a 10G tank will take at least a month. And honestly, no anemones for at least a year, it will almost guaranteed will die in such a young tank. If by chance, your other clown does not make it, just let your tank run its cycling course how it should have been done, empty for at least 6 weeks. I do hope the little guy makes it and I'm pulling for you. I don't mean to come off sounding "too matter of fact" or mean, but getting a tank ready takes time, lots of it. Remember we are trying to recreate their natural world in a little glass box. The smaller the box, the less room for error we have to play with.
    Another suggestion, ditch the power filter, they are basically worthless in the saltwater world, and get a good protein skimmer. If possible, I would also double the tank size. 20G tanks are pretty cheap at Petsmart and will give you more wiggle room when it comes to water parameters. This hobby can be expensive, but if you bite the bullet up front and get the right equipment from the start, it will be much better in the long run. Sooner or later, you will end up buying the more expensive equipment because you realized it is what is needed and not just fluff and will think "darn I should have bought that from the start!" You won't end up with a box full of useless gear, like so many of us have. Oh, and don't get a Sea-clone skimmer.