1 month old set, Need water change?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by glocklt4, Nov 7, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. glocklt4

glocklt4 Astrea Snail

I have a new setup going still (1 month old). Used crushed shells i bought used from the LFS so the cycle started fast but it is taking a while to finish.

As of yesterday:

11/07/04
    Ammonia = .2 mg/L
    Nitrite = 1.6 mg/L
    Nitrate = around 110 mg/L
    Phosphate = 2.5 mg/L
    pH = 8.2
    calcium = 400 mg/L
    salinity = 1.023

previous history:

10/24/04
    pH = 8.1
    Ammonia = 0
    nitrite = 5+
    salinity = 1.023
    calcium = 420

10/15/04
    pH = 8.2
    ammonia = .5
    nitrite = 5+
    salinity = 1.021

10/09/04
    pH = 7.7
    ammonia = .1
    nitrite = .25
    low range nitrate = 50
    salinity = 1.021

10/07/04
    pH = 7.7
    ammonia = 1.2
    nitrite = 20
    salinity = 1.021

I haven't done a water change yet. Just been topping off with fresh. I did make the mistake of setting up the tank with water from tap before knowing any better, but i'm told after probably 3-4 once a month 20% water changes that it'll be fine.

I fully understand the nitrogen cycle, but I can't figure out why the levels are still up a bit. I'm going to setup an excel spreadsheet to keep track of all my tests so that I can plot on graphs from now on. As of the last time i had the LFS test (10/24), they said to just keep waiting out the cycle... now that my nitrite is down to 1.6 instead of off the chart at 5+ ... it's pretty obvious that the nitrite step is in place... however everything i've read says that the best way to temporarily take care of the now high levels of nitrates is to do a water change. I do think i have an issue with the final step (nitrate to nitrogen gas). i do not have sand on the bottom of my tank, just fine crushed shells. I do not have a whole bunch of circulation right now, however (one maxijet 900), but i'll be adding another 900 or 1200 for the opposite side of the tank.

Do i do a 20% water change now?

(50G Bowfront Fish-Only setup with 5 damsels, 3 hermets, 6 turbo snails)

Thanks!! This hobby is so exciting :).

2. Click Here!

3. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

There's the problem :)

The first 2 parts of the Nitogen cycle are very easy to achieve and almost happen automatically, however the last part Nitrate to Nitrogen is a little more difficult. I nearly all setups the Nitrate production is higher that the tanks ability to convert Nitrate to Nitrogen.

John

4. somethingfishy

somethingfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

I would first like to congratulate you on your new tank. As far as keeping track of water parameters try using Reefcon at www.infinitysoft.net. They have a free version that is pretty good.

As far as the cycle goes it looks like you still have a little ways to go. Keep an eye on your parameters you want your nitrites to stabilize also your ammonia is a little high but not a big concern.

As far as Nitrates go there are many ways to remove them besides water changes. To start with you should invest in LR which will help eliminate nitrates via anaerobic bacteria. There are other methods including deep sand beds. Also you should consider getting a skimmer this will reduce nitrates by preventing decomposition of organic wastes in your tank.

5. glocklt4

glocklt4 Astrea Snail

[quote author=somethingfishy link=board=Water;num=1099873340;start=0#2 date=11/07/04 at 16:42:41]I would first like to congratulate you on your new tank.  As far as keeping track of water parameters try using Reefcon at www.infinitysoft.net.  They have a free version that is pretty good.

As far as the cycle goes it looks like you still have a little ways to go.  Keep an eye on your parameters you want your nitrites to stabilize also your ammonia is a little high but not a big concern.

As far as Nitrates go there are many ways to remove them besides water changes.  To start with you should invest in LR which will help eliminate nitrates via anaerobic bacteria.  There are other methods including deep sand beds.  Also you should consider getting a skimmer this will reduce nitrates by preventing decomposition of organic wastes in your tank.[/quote]

Wow, thanks for the quick advice guys!  I'll check out that software.

I thought i'd add that i just tested KH and it was = 200mg/L  (that seems high).

I have a prizm deluxe protein skimmer and an aquaclear 200 for filtration.  This sufficient? I just now recently started having my skimmer work properly. I've never had one before and didn't know that just foam was supposed to go into the collection cup. I had a lot of foam and water going into it and there was constant water leaking out the overflow holes. Now that that is fixed it foaming out some nasty stuff! hopefully that will get the nitrates down over the next few days.

6. somethingfishy

Wow, what brand test kit are you using. You should be at 7-11 dkh. Do you mean 20 dkh? I also would like to add that you may want to think about adding more filtration. Is this going to be fish only or a reef tank?

7. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Aquarium Pharm makes a Kh test kit that the preferred value is about 120 minimum. I am not sure the relative comparisons....

Is that the one you have?

8. Click Here!

9. glocklt4

glocklt4 Astrea Snail

I am using a Hagen Test kit.... going to test again.

10. glocklt4

glocklt4 Astrea Snail

[quote author=somethingfishy link=board=Water;num=1099873340;start=0#4 date=11/10/04 at 16:22:12]Wow, what brand test kit are you using.  You should be at 7-11 dkh.  Do you mean 20 dkh?  I also would like to add that you may want to think about adding more filtration.  Is this going to be fish only or a reef tank?[/quote]

Fish only. Yes, i believe it was 20dkh... going to retest.

11. glocklt4

glocklt4 Astrea Snail

Ok, great news!  

I just tested the tank and:

Ammonia = 0
    Nitrite = .1
    Nitrate = 5
    Calcium = 360 (i think i was measuring wrong before)
    Kh = 17 (not sure what is up with that still)

Cycle is 99% done.  Time to go pick out fishies???. What about the water change ... do 10% on Saturday?

12. somethingfishy

Well It looks like you cycle is settling down. I would wait a little longer before a watter change. As far a fish go if you are going to add something go for a hardy and peaceful fish. This is the most exciting time where all that patience pays off. Make sure you don't throw in 10 fish you need to add 1 or 2 at a time especially in the beginning. I fact I would remove those damsels and add different fish. If you arn't going to keep the damsels that is. Since this will be a FO tank I wouldn't worry about you Ca or Dkh.