1 month anniversary!!

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Brandon1023, Apr 16, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

WooHOO!! I kept my anemone alive for 1 month as of today. ;D Some of you may laugh, but for me this is an accomplishment. Before, they never stayed alive a week in my care. Of course I was younger and naive :-[ (didn't feed them, had WAY too little lighting, water wasn't great, bought a seabae in awful condition but didn't realize that at the time). So yay, I'm happy. And he seems happy too, being that they are so demanding on light and water conditions, and he has his clown lovin on him 24/7. :p I'm hoping for a split, that would be the icing on my cake! :eek: He's huge as it is......OK anyways. Pointless post but I'm excited. And my corals are all doing fine too, and my mushroom frags are coming along nicely (I didn't have a slime out, and the cuttings are forming back into circles). :tongue4:

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Congrats on your success Brandon! What is your equipment set-up now versus then? Won't be long before you'll need a bigger tank eh?

4. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Congrats are in order here! Bravo, bravo, well done!

5. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

Craig, here's the difference:

Then: 29gal, Eclipse 3 hood (mechanical, biowheel, and 2x18W fluorescent bulbs), some cheap a$$ in-tank skimmer (but it worked I guess), and I think one powerhead. But its the light that kills me looking back. 2x18W!! That was 1.24WPG. I did upgrade the lighting with a retrofit kit to a 55WPC, but even that was only 1.89WPG....not worth the $55 or so that I paid for the kit. God I was SO freakin naive! I had enough LR, but I was WAY too impatient, and overstocked that tank fast! I even had a yellow tang AND a purple tang in at the same time!!!!!! Can you believe that?! Sheesh this is making me realize how far I've come.

Now: 46gal bowfront, Penguin Bio-wheel filter, Jebo PS75 HOB skimmer, 3x96W PCs, giving me more than 6WPG, both PC fixtures are setup on timers, for a nice transition between day and night, with 3 blue lunar lights, 2 powerheads, one being a power sweep (goes back and forth).

So yea, QUITE a change. Things are definitely improved, and it shows! My Xenia is growing, and my corals are all still ALIVE, for that matter. The BTA is doing well and yes, I will be upgrading soon to an even bigger tank! 125gal, anyone? ;D ;D I don't know what size, but at least 75gal bowfront.

1 person likes this.
  6. Zissou

Zissou Fire Shrimp

your tank sounds like it is doing awesome, congrats and karma to ya for upgrading to meet the demands of your critters. i too had the same anemone problem when i started my tank. i think they are the smelliest critters on this planet when they die, i nearly puked when i pulled out a blob of electric green carpet anemone a year back. i now house a sebae who is getting huge and a tube anemone(not a true anemone) but very cool.

7. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

I remember when my anemone was 1 month old! I was so excited that i had kept it alive that long! now its almost 1! Good luck, im sure everything will be great!