1 gallon to 10 gallon cycle question

Discussion in 'General Freshwater Information' started by CupidofCrime, Feb 22, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CupidofCrime

CupidofCrime Fire Worm

I currently have a 1 gallon corner tank that i keep a 2" Golden Mystery Snail in, and as he is getting quite large, I would like to move him to my empty 10 gallon. I have about 5lbs of Argaonite that i plan on using, and have a little tetra Whisper 10i filter, i'm getting a nice little heater tomorrow. Now my question is Can i "seed" the 10 gallon with argaonite and water from my 1 gallon? Will it help it cycle faster?
    Thanks!:biggrinbo

2. Click Here!

3. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

yes & yes. man water changes must be a breeze for you! 1 coffee cup = 10% wc :)

4. CupidofCrime

CupidofCrime Fire Worm

It is quite nice!
    I love my mystery, he has so much personality! Maybe i'll try to get him a girl to share his new tank with!
    If I used a 1-10 ratio how much will this decrease the time to cycle?

5. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

well maybe 1 week instead of 4 weeks... you'll just have to test your water every week or take it to the fish store and have them do it for you.. looking for nitrite,nitrates, and ammonia.. once nitrite and ammonia go down and nitrates go up.. your pretty much there..

I just noticed that this is freshwater.. just add lots of prime/water conditioner with sand and little old water wait 24 hours and put him in..

6. CupidofCrime

CupidofCrime Fire Worm

Fresh doesn't have to cycle?

7. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

yes but not like a reef or saltwater tank. I've moved my freshwater tanks around for years, used maybe 20% old water and 80% new water with old sand/gravel and put fish in within 24 hours.. used alot of prime/water conditioner though.. snails may be more sensitive though.. you could do everything and wait and test water to make sure..

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

i dont think its gonna have much of a cycle if any at all with only one snail

10. CupidofCrime

CupidofCrime Fire Worm

Thanks so much night! +K for your informative and quick responses!
    I know what i'm doing tomorrow :)

11. fischkid2

fischkid2 Dirty Filter Sock

night rida is right on all accounts but it would not hurt to start up new tank while maintaining old. add the new sand to the new tank first then pour some of your sand form your old tank on top of the new. let the filter break in for a week (it does not need to) and let the tank sit for that week and like Night said use conditioner. this prep is most likely overkill but it would be a shame if your lil guy got stressed more then necessary if its easily avoidable. using your old water and seed sand will help with cycle and make tank mature quicker.
    GL!