1 big pump?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by jbaker, Nov 21, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jbaker

jbaker Feather Duster

Hey guys, been wondering about this for awhile now and the question is generally speaking, not for a specific setup. Is it better to have just 1 large pump running all of the water circulation and filtration with a second smaller pump for redundancy or several smaller pumps running each individual process? :-/

2. Click Here!

3. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

I have been checking out alot of set-ups for ideas on my next tank and from what I have seen alot of is that large systems 110+ seem to run a large pump for system and reactors and 1 for Skimmer (some have skimmer running on the main large pump)
    I guess its alot to do with personal choice and equiptment avalible.

4. grubbsj

grubbsj Gigas Clam

The (250g working volume)system that I'm assembling right now will have only 3 pumps.... A closed loop recirculation pump (3600 gph), a sump return & equipment supply (5500 gph), and the internal recirculation PH (300 gph) for the calcium reactor... For this conversation, I'm ignoring the salt mixing tank and medic tank...

The main reason for this... less power consumption, less heat addition to the tank system, less maintenance on PHs, fewer repair parts required to be on hand, higher level of confidence that the pumps will always be working...

I don't yet have a spair pump to use in the event of a failure, but will have one on hand before stocking of the tank starts... I'm in the market for a used, operating Reeflow pump....

5. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

There's the option of having one huge pump for main and skimmer.... I guess you could really run everything..
    Saves money , heat, but you'll need some sort of backup if the only pump goes out. Unless you can make it to the expensive LFS and buy one right then.

I have a Pan World 150 for the main and a Pan World 100 for my skimmer. I'm planning on just using one of my power head pumps for phos reactor or other little things.
    If my main pump goes out I can just run a hose from the skimmer to the display tank until I get another main pump .. .disadvantage it cost more watts to run. I think it adds more heat.

6. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

1 large pump is a no brainier. I run one large pump for all my reactors, chiller and skimmer. Then I have another pump that runs the OM 4way CL. They are both HammerHeads and I have a spare here just in case something happens I can just swap it out and repair.

7. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

I love this guy,
    Otty has an awsome set up and is what Im modling my next set-up off:)
    Otty for PRESIDANT

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I have one big pump running my 90g(145g system) and running other things as well. I only have two pumps in my system, one for the return and the other for the skimmer. No PH's anywhere in my tank. Everything that Grubbsj mentioned;
    " The main reason for this... less power consumption, less heat addition to the tank system, less maintenance on PHs, fewer repair parts required to be on hand, higher level of confidence that the pumps will always be working... "
    Is why I decided to run only one big pump. You can incorporate a manifold plumbing system that can "feed" all kinds of equipment like Phos reactors, carbon reactors, coil denitrators among other things. Luna

Here's some pics of what I mean.....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I run one of my big pumps to this manifold I made: (2" into 6 x 1")

[​IMG]

I got it from here: PVC-Manifolds

11. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

I'm running my 90 with the following

Mag 1800 feeds return on DT from sump, also feeds a manifold that runs the PO4 and Ca reactors

Mag 2, this was a mandatory pump for the CA reactor to handle recirculation within it's chambers

That be it... going to be adding either a hydor set of ph's to the DT or a single ecotech marine vortech but I'm not sure yet

12. jbaker

jbaker Feather Duster

Thanks for the input guys. One pump with another for backup made sense to me but I usually miss something in the details. I was curious if it could be done correctly and if anyone has done it. I love Otty's tank and it has been an inspiration to me for some time now. If anyone hasn't read his build thread you need to do so. I like being able to get on here and run questions by you guys because I always learn something new.