1.5G Copepod Tank

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by cody3819, Feb 23, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cody3819

cody3819 Bubble Tip Anemone

This is my newest venture, it's my 1.5G pod refuge. I hope to cultivate copepods for my Mandarin Goby..... Please let me know what you guys think and be honest. Thanks.....

2. Click Here!

3. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

No picture or anything.

My first thought is that 1.5g isn't going to support very many copepods.

My second thought is that unless you run the 1.5g inline with the main tank, it's going to be tough to keep that tank stable. Also how do you plan on transferring large enough amounts of copepods to the main tank for the mandarin to sustain itself?

cody3819 likes this.
  4. cody3819

All this is for is to farm pods..... I will transfer twice a month once I start getting the population going..... All this is going to be is a safe refugium for them to bread with no predictor.... I know it's small but they will only have pods in it. I will move them from my tank into the tank onto my cheato in the tank...... This is to avoid buying them every two months..... 1.5 gallons is a lot bigger than a 1.5 oz bottle. Am I making since...?

Attached Files:

5. cody3819

If it's to small then I will buy a cheap 10G..... This is something I had laying around the house.... Sort of a "test run"

6. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

I would get the 10g. Just because something is better doesn't make it good or suitable or logical. The 1.5oz bottle is to contain them until you empty it into your tank. In no way is that set up for them to breed or house them long term.

7. cody3819

Agreed, this 1.5 gallon tank is my "test run" if I can get this to start then I will get the 10G. I'm just seeing how this will work. And if it's even worth trying...... But I truly agree with what you are saying. My plan to maintain this tank is when I do water changes in my bigger tank take some water with a good bacteria colony and replace water in my Pico tank. It's only purpose is to bread pods so algae is welcome. But if I may ask, what do you propose?