001 reading

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by civiccars2003, Nov 13, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

I'm not sure if this is the right location for this question, but anyway. I got a reading of .001 on my Spectrapure 90g/d. Should I be concerned? Does it mean its time to change my filters? Do I need to change all my filters?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. gabbyr189

gabbyr189 Bubble Tip Anemone

AZDesertRat will probably be commenting here. He is known as the RO/DI guru and you should listen to him! :) How long have you had your current filters? What type of system do you have?

Regarding the sediment and carbon filters - you should be changing them every 6 months. A pressure gauge will also let you know if you need to change them.

For the RO membrane, you will need to determine the rejection rate. You will need to measure the TDS in two places:
    TDS of the tap water
    TDS after the RO membrane but before the DI.

Rejection rate = [(TDS of tap-TDS after RO)/TDS of Tap]*100

You want this number to be at least 96%. The RO membrane removes most of the TDS, and therefore protects the DI resin. I have read that for every 2% the rejection rate drops, the lifespan of your DI resin will be cut in half.

For the DI resin - When the TDS no longer measures 0, it means that the DI resin is exhausted. You will want to order a new one.

Good luck!

4. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

First, its not .001, its 1. There is no decimal point on those meters and they read in whole numbers, what appears to be a decimal is just a dot indicating it is on.

When it starts to read anything other than 0 consistently its time to start considering a new DI cartridge. It may read 1 or 2 when you first start it up but drop to 0 and taht is normal, but when it starts staying above 1 or 2 change the DI cartridge.

The sediment and carbon block filters have very little to absolutely nothing to do with TDS, they protect the membrane from suspended solids, silt, sediment and chlorine, so you change them based on time and 6 months is a good rule of thumb since a TDS meter will not help you here. When you do change them remember to disinfect the system following Spectrapures recommendations.

5. civiccars2003

The six month period has arrived, I will be changing all the cartridges. Thanks for help.

6. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

They are still running a sale flyer with all the replacements discounted.
    Untitled Document

I think its like $52 for a 0.5 micron sediment and carbon block filter and a SilicaBuster DI cartridge.

7. civiccars2003

Thanks AZDesertRat for coming through again.
    BTW, going to be in Arizona next week.

8. Click Here!

9. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

The weather is great, 68-76 during the day and shirt sleeve weather at night! I love visiting Ohio and my wifes family but its too cold in the winter and in the summer the bugs are big enough to carry a small child away. I like working in short sleeved shirts year round!

10. civiccars2003

Got my filters, replace them all and everything is back to zero. Thanks for the help. As well, Arizona was awesome, I had a blast.

11. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Glad all is well and you enjoyed your visit!