0 to 100+ in 7 days.....

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by tjtsj, Sep 14, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tjtsj

tjtsj Plankton

Ok, so I was looking at my tank this morning and noticed that I couldn't see any crabs moving around. Somewhat alarmed I tested the tank for params and found that my nitrate had jumped to at least 100ppm from 0ppm last Friday. Ammonia is 0, Nitrite is 0. I'm concerned because I don't know how it jumped that fast. It's a 46g bow, with a 20g sump, 45LB LR, Corallife skimmer.
    I'm preparing to do a water change, but is there anything else I should be looking for?
    Any help would be great. Thanks in advance

2. Click Here!

3. glampka

glampka Coral Banded Shrimp

4. rlcline76

rlcline76 Astrea Snail

That is crazy! Have you retested at all? What test kit are you using. Get to getting on those water changes.

5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Have you changed to a new food ? like some frozen meats ? as for the DIY w/d I'd toss the cannister they just hold waste to rot.. Maybe you should hook up a coil denitrator they do a great job. I run one 24/7 for 20 yrs never see any NO3's Added 2 of them to a large system we set up the owner loved to feed meats to his triggers and larger aggressive fish No3 where off the charts he had little faith and daily for 3 months he called to say no change and we go there to service the tank No change I told them about 8 to 10 weeks to cure and cycle . Well they are gone now as is the algae problem..Took about 13 weeks to get to zero from over ppm But since May they have been zilch. This guy was is a total data Geek and is of the mind set of if its not expensive or high tech it can't work.. LOL He is a software Millionaire. Now some will tell you its the W/D its not ran them for yrs never a issue before the coil even.