0 TDS going into bucket reads 9 TDS once in bucket

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by GjB, Jan 12, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GjB

GjB Skunk Shrimp

Good Evening Reefers,

I measured my water at 0 TDS in a pitcher but once I pour it into my WC bucket (this bucket has only been used for the water going IN to the tank), it measures 9 TDS. I rinsed the bucket with warm water prior to pouring in 0 TDS water.

Do I need to do more than rinse the bucket with warm freshwater?
    If so, what would that be?

2. Click Here!

3. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

You could try rinsing the bucket with a vinegar solution to cut any residue it may have. Chances are you are also attracting things from the air, RO/DI is extremely agressive since it is trying to get back to its natural dirty state and attracts about anything it can as long as it has an electrical charge.
    Has the bucket been used for new saltwater too? It could be salt residue.
    I wouldn't be overly concerned about it though, the bucket will probably rinse up with time if its only used for RO/DI and not mixing saltwater.

4. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

I would toss a bit of salt, or a rock (limestone, like base rock) into the container where your RO is being dripped in to. That way, the RODI water will attract calcium and carbonate (or already have a bit of salt in it) instead of pulling pollutants and other unknowns from the air.

5. GjB

GjB Skunk Shrimp

That explains it. I had my salt mix in the bucket and rinsing it wasn't enough to clear all the salt residue from the bucket. Thanks

6. GjB

GjB Skunk Shrimp

Ingenious

7. GjB

GjB Skunk Shrimp

Yeah I probably should have mentioned that I use it as my salt mix bucket;D