!±`ç@±“#!!!!!! flooded my basement again!

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Swisswiss, Jan 10, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

right something has to be done, clearly setting a cooking alarm is not enough (this time it glitched and actually didn't ring) its about the 3rd time i flood my laundry room filling my 100l container with RODI water...

I'm thinking there must be some sort of switch or valve i can acquire that would turn off my water automatically reached a certain level....

any ideas!?

2. Click Here!

3. rcflyer1388

rcflyer1388 Bubble Tip Anemone

do you have a float valve installed? that's what most of us use to stop the water once the container is full.

4. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

thats what i meant! a float valve, ill have to look into this. its not only the waste of water that gets to me it drying the damn carpets and the risk of mould!.... urgh.....

luckily i have a small drain in my laundry room to get rid of the water but still....

anyway thx for the feedback, i would need a rather small one any brand tips?

5. rcflyer1388

Reverse Osmosis Float Valve - Bulk Reef Supply

here's the one i use, it's been good for me. you definitely don't want to risk flooding and possibly having a mold issue. i don't know where you get your supplies from in Switzerland for your RO/DI unit, but they should have something similar if not the same as the above link. it probably wouldn't make any sense for you to pay a lot for shipping to get it from USA.

6. chumslickjon

chumslickjon Purple Spiny Lobster

My float valve still allows the backflow water to run. I'm considering purchasing a watering timer from Lowe's or Home Cheapo.

7. rcflyer1388

it shouldn't if you have an automatic shutoff valve installed on the RO/DI unit. My unit came with one of them and when the float valve shuts, the automatic shutoff valve closes the whole membrane from the back pressure. I think most RO/DI units nowadays come with the auto shutoff valve installed on the membrane.

8. Click Here!

9. chumslickjon

It's a coralife shutoff valve, sometimes it works, but it's a very rare occasion that it does.

10. rcflyer1388

not sure about yours but it takes mine about 30sec to a min to build up enough back pressure to shut the water off completely. this is considered normal operation.

11. chumslickjon

Nope, it keeps running "waste water only" until I turn it off. Sometimes all night.

12. One Dumm Hikk

One Dumm Hikk Skunk Shrimp

Go to Lowes or Home Depot and get one of the drain pans made for hot water heaters. Put your water container inside it. Then plumb the drain pan to a drain. It wont stop the water but it will stop it from flooding the floor. They make them in plastic also.

Camco 24 in. ID Aluminum Water Heater Pan-15282 at The Home Depot