Test Kits, Regimen & Supplements?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by OnefishTwofish, Jan 15, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. OnefishTwofish

OnefishTwofish Feather Star

Just a few questions as I get ready to invest in test kits.

My lighting will be installed as of this weekend and then i begin adding corals to my tank. I read a lot here about pH and Calcium etc etc....it is sort of like a flashback to high school science class. (a long long time ago in a very distant galaxy....)

with that said:

Which specific test kits do i need to purchase?

Is there a good master kit available or do i need several separate kits?

I have seen fairly wide variations in pricing - I am fine with investing more $$ into a trusted / dependable brand. It is a little overwhelming to me though as to how to get started on the right path.

If there is a recommended test regimen I should start with that would also be appreciated.

In addition - if i need supplements based on test results - what should i have on hand?

The simpler and straightforward this is for me, the better until i get the hang on it. I want to purchase all of this at one time so i have it all readily available. I have pen and paper beside me to start a shopping list based on advice I may be lucky enough to get from you experienced folks.

Your suggestions and advice will be greatly appreciated.

:)

(for the record - it is a 29 gallon tank with a HOB protein skimmer)

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

one fish two fish

I assume you have test kits for Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate?
    in addition to those - PH , alk or DKH , Phosphate, calcium and magnesium

brands and kits Ill leave to someone else as we shop in totally different market places and sometimes I have to use AZOO (copper test kit) as I couldnt find a brand name I trusted for that test

supplements - all dressed up and nowhere to go for me at present I have the main 3 calcium, magnesium and Alk buffer
    (I went with Sea chem products, advance calcium, advance magnesium and reef builder) but with 5% water changes each week using Red Sea Coral Pro which at 1.026 gives me good levels on these 3 major elements = thus far Im not using any of them

so get the test kits 1st - test weekly to start, and you will know your demand
    with a 29 gallon tank, with I assume mostly soft corals and LPS , I believe water changes will cover the needs as far as maintaining the big 3 levels are concerned

someone please shout if I missed one of the major test kits?

Steve

4. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

As far as test kits go, generally, the more expensive, the more accurate. However, I have used API and Salifert test kits both with good success. API makes a "Reef Master" test kit that has Ca, Alk, Phosphate, nirtate and something else, but not Magnesium. I initially used the API with a Salifert Mg test kit which I like alot. Now, I am using API for Ph, alk, nitrate etc. and Salifert for Mg, Ca and phosphate. There are many other test kits out there, these are the ones I like and have found easy to use with good results.

As far as a regime goes, I would do an initial test to determine where your levels are at. Then if you find a parameter to be low, add a supplement. Initially, you probably won't have to supplement much as you won't have many corals to use up the elements. However, I would test at least weekly until you see what your tank uses and what your water changes replace. If you start to see your parameters falling and the water changes not helping much, then you can start to supplement if you want.

As far as supplements go, I buy everything from bulkreefsupply.com. They have great products at good prices. I buy Mg sulfate and Mg chloride for my Mg solution ( you mix the two in proportion according to the directions they give you, it's much easier then it sounds) I also buy Ca Chloride for my calcium and Soda ash for Alk. I dose these almost daily, although I have been lazy for a while. All you do is mix a gallon at a time and use that up, it lasts a while and is much cheaper then buying the small bottles of stuff.

5. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

For testing i use API for the basics like ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. For calcium, magnesium and alkalinity I use Salifert.
    For supplements and additives I would not concern myself right now as that time is a long ways away still. You need to get up and running before worrying about adding anything that requires supplementation or additions. As far as calcium and magnesium Bulk reef is a good source if you dose but I prefer using a calcium reactor myself and I never ever add any additives or supplements, most are not needed and can be detrimental. If you do find you need to supplement anything make darn sure you have a test kit for every ingredient and use the kit on a regular basis to ensure you really do have a demand and need for the additive, never add just because someone at the LFS told you to.

6. OnefishTwofish

OnefishTwofish Feather Star

I am taking notes as you folks respond - thank you so very much - one other quick question:

Is there an optimal or recommended time to test?

I mean in context with having had lighting on for so many hours by the time you test etc.

I have noticed that my protein skimmer "froths at the mouth" sporadically in a 24 hour time period. There is generally one fairly sizeable occurrence mid-day(ish)
    and almost always something again in late evening / at lights out. Then off and on foam geysers in between.

Just wondering about a consistent test time as far as a general maintenance standpoint pending some kind of unusual imbalance or emergency situation where something really spikes or dips.

I really want a small sump/refugium in the worst way as i suspect it would be helpful in terms of water chemistry and management etc. I pore over the threads - i think i could build one - but yet i am admittedly a bit "chicken" about screwing it up. My tank stand is limited in size too.
    I think i only have about 10"-11" in clear inside width to work with. What i would give to have someone go through building / plumbing it all *with* me so i learn firsthand.

This is my beginner tank - so much to learn and experience - i have every intention of upgrading to no less than a 75-90, but i need to learn the ropes before i make that leap.

Thanks to those who have responded thus far. I cannot say enough wonderful things about the resources on this site. The best part is that they are from others who feel the same way about this hobby.

1 person likes this.
  7. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

About the only parameters that will change with lighting cycles or time will be pH and temperature. pH usually drops at night.

Skimmers react with the surface tension of the water and any proteins that may be present, such as after feeding or after sticking your hands in the tank. Oils and proteins in the foods often make askimmer flare up for a bit and sticking your hands in the tank often slow its skimmate production. same goes with adding additives or supplements, I remember years agos when I used treated tap water, the Stresscoat made the skimmer go crazy as do other supplements andadditives, none of which I use anymore.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. blumoon reefers

blumoon reefers Millepora

+1. I concur with everything AZDesertRat said. Unfortunately, I do not have a calcium reactor, so I do my dosing manually. My normal routine includes a water change weekly and then testing Calcium, Alk and Mag (I also like Salifert - they are a bit pricey as you have to buy them individually, but well worth it). I will then dose as needed for those. On a monthly basis, I will check for Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates using the API Master Kit. Usually my corals will let me know if there is anything amiss....Initially there was little in my tank that needed any dosing or supplementation. The more I have added, the more I have seen a need to supplement to keep my levels stable.

+k for asking and taking notes