Question on Ammonia Test Kit

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Puffer Chick, Sep 4, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

Ok, so tonight i tested my ammonia. My instructions say to wait 15 minutes for full results. At first the color starts of as a nice yellow, and then i get all excited that tonight's the night that my cycle is finally over. Then at the end of the 15 minutes it turns to a yellow-green color. So does this mean my cycle is finnished at least for ammonia, or is it still going because it turns yellow-green? it's really frustrating when it starts of yellow then turns greenish.

2. Click Here!

3. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

Greenish usually means that there is a reading of around 0.25ppm. I'd say you still have a while to go. Is you protein skimmer running?

4. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

IME it always starts out yellow then slowly turns..it sounds like you still have a litttlle ammonia left. I would wait a while longer..you could also try another test kit..my old kit (well it was fairly new at the time) never stopped reading ammonia..even after i KNEW my cycle was over..i got another ammonia test and it was dead zero

5. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

skimmer isint running as i still need to get an air valve for it

6. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

ok, i'm going to go to the lfs tomorrow to get more water, so i think i'll bring a water sample, because the ammonia has been reading the same thing now for two weeks, and i'm on week 4 of cycling

7. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

oh I see. your cycle may be over because it's been about a month since you started it yes?
    If you do get your skimmer up and running, that should remove the excess ammonia. what is your nitrite reading?
    but as stated above, try another test kit.

8. Click Here!

9. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

yup it will be exactly 1 month tomorrw. I'll test the nitrite right now. A few days ago i tested everything and all my readings were just above 0 and it's been like that for 2 weeks, and that's the most frustrating part.

10. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

i tested nitrite and it's 0.05 and it's been reading this for the past two weeks now, all of tests have been right above 0

11. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

skimmer's remove ammonia? I have not heard that before... :confused::-/

no time to start rushing things now... just take it slow... it'll work out on its own ;D

12. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

guess i should update this post about my ammonia. Today i tested my parameters after running the skimmer for it's first 48 hours, and ammonia is officially at 0 :D so either skimmers really do help remove ammonia, or it was just a coincidence