Please help with recommended levels for my reef tank?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by RockinReef, Feb 16, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. RockinReef

RockinReef Plankton

Please Recommend Proper Chemistry Levels for my Reef Tank?

Please understand that I am a rookie so I am learning...

My tank is a 110gal with great lighting (2) 250 MH and (4) HQI, a refuguim with 24/7 lighting and refugium mud, protein skimmer and a chiller set to 78 degrees.

The tank has live rock as well as has a few soft (xenia, etc), a few hard corals (brain, etc) and a 10 smal/med fish. I also have a strong cleanup crew with emerald crabs, snails, tuxedo urchent, (2) pepperment shrimp, and other scavengers.

I want to continue adding a mix of corals now that everything is stable however I am not sure if the chemistry levels are where they should be for soft and hard coral growth and health.

I make my own salt water with a triple stage RO and use reef crystals.

The tank is stabilized however the recommended levels for a reef tanks, are as diverse as the species of fish in the ocean.

Here are the latest details on my tank.

I have been adding Calicum and Alk daily to maintain the following:

Todays Readings: (typical daily also)

Ca 480
    dKh 12
    Mg 1380
    Ph 8.4

I do have a bit of a hard green algae problem that requires frequent scraping (every 2 or 3 days) as the floating magnets won't remove it.

Question 1: What levels or range should I maintain?

Question 2: Should I continue to add calcium and alk daily?

Question 3: Can you recommend an automatic doser and place to get the best deal on one?

Question 4: Any ideas about controlling the hard green algea?

I have Chaetomorpha growing like crazy in the refugium and the nitrate and nitrite levels are not as low as I want them to be. I also have a unknown but healthy crop of minature grey spaghetti like tubes (dozens of them) that have a single light purpleish bloom comming out of the end of them??? They retract quickly when disturbed... What are they?

Last question: Please recommend the best refugium crop to remove nitrate and nitrite from the tank?

This reef rookie needs any help he can get...

Thank you in advance for your help!!!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  2. Click Here!

3. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Reef Aquarium Water Parameters by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

See now if this wasn't such a great place I'd ask you for $5 for this tip. :) Thank Mission6. That's who turned me on to it.

Question 1: What levels or range should I maintain? See link.

Question 2: Should I continue to add calcium and alk daily? Yes. Add enough to maintain the levels from the link.

Question 3: Can you recommend an automatic doser and place to get the best deal on one? Nope.

Question 4: Any ideas about the hard green algea? Are you sure it's not green coralline algae?

4. RockinReef

RockinReef Plankton

Thanks for the link and I am not sure I would know green coralline algae of it were growing on my watch?

5. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Does your watch glow in the dark? :)

6. RockinReef

RockinReef Plankton

No glow on the watch... but seriously, would the green coraline grow in spots like the purple version? This doesn't. It grows mostly on the glass and rapidly, every day or two? Requires a stainless steel blade algae scraper and some elbow grease to get it off and the fish are really tired of seeing my arm in the tank because the long handle vesrion has a tough tim with this stuff?