An observation on live bacteria ~ Bacter7

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by pink4miss, Jun 14, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

i have been using live bacteria since my tank started. TLC's optimizer or Bacter7 with each water change i add a bit and with each new coral or fish i used it. i felt it was a precaution since the tank was still newly set up. well about a month ago i ran out. And figured the tank was old enough now to hold its own, and since the tank is full and no new adds i figured i would stop adding the live bacteria. recently i noticed when i turned the main pump off to feed i was getting a smell ... it smelled like i was at the shore, not a good smell in your livingroom... when the pumps started back up the smell would leave after a bit. Just the other day i purchased the live bacteria again ( bacter7 ) just to have on hand, i had it, so i added it as directed, turned uv and skimmer off for 4 hours. WELL! Guess what..?! next day i go to feed as i normally do, hit apex into feed mode. NO smell. the ocean smell is gone. it looks like i will not be cutting out the weekly dose with water change out of my routine again.

just thought i would share this info, maybe it will help others

2. Click Here!

3. Nor_Cal_Guy

Nor_Cal_Guy Gigas Clam

Interesting observation!

4. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

I use carbon to keep that shore smell away. :) But its cool to know the bacter7 helps too.

5. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

6. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

thanks yes it surely works! :) i use carbon also, chemi-pure elite.

7. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

You use uv still? Nowhere on the packaging does it say the bacteria is purely benthic :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  8. Click Here!

9. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

yes i do still use my uv. but i turned it off with the skimmer for 4 hours after adding the bacter7
    i know i am killing free floating bacteria (good and bad) with the uv, but i feel the pro's out weigh the con's.

i was just reading a write up on liveaquaria. about how the office tanks are run. and it was without a uv and without a fug. i dont feel my fug is doing miuch. and have been rethinking that. ph still drops at night and plants arent growing to fast. mangroves do well though. the uv...hum? what to do ? :p can you see me :eek: with the thought of shutting it down? lol

here is the write up Fish Aquariums | Q&A From Expert Kevin Kohen on his Aquariums i found it interesting that they dont run much to keep the tanks going well.

the bio pellets are still running in my garage, in freshly changed tank water each week.... not sure why its not effecting my water quality?! J/K ;D haha seriously debating them also, thats why they arent back in the sump yet

10. antole

antole Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Pretty cool Stuff

11. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

and here is my thoughts on that, the bacteria that does hold on to my sand and rocks and coral all received a needed boost. :)
    can you tell im not ready to give up my uv. haha i will add the bacter7 each week, with or without water change to compensate who knows maybe one day you will be saying i told you so about the uv ;) but for now its staying.

12. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

LOL, I have no idea what is in mb7, so, I don't have any idea if uv would effect it or not, but it seemed like a good opportunity to tease you about UV :lol:

The whole recharging bacteria thing seems pretty fishy though. My best guess is, most likely some bacteria in MB7 uses up some key nutrient quickly and mb7 adds it with the bacteria. However, that's just a guess.