NP reducing biopellets vs. Vodka

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Siddique, Sep 21, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

NP Reducing Biopellets or Vodka

1. NP Reducing Biopellets

13 vote(s)
    76.5%
  2. Vodka

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  1. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

I currently have the np reducing biopellets running in my main display to combat a GHA and bubble algae situation.
    I've been doing some reading on vodka dosing and decided to get some input on this method and probably give it a try.
    I'm not too sure if anyone here employ either method so I was looking for some input.
    I do have multiple systems so I will be trying the NP reducing biopellets on my main tank and the vodka in my frag tank and analyze the two experiments.
    *NB*The algae issue in my frag tank is no where near that as in my main display.

I also wanted to know if it is safe to dose vodka and run biopellets in the same system at the same time or will one cancel out the other or does this spell catastrophe?

Please share your experiences.

2. Click Here!

3. JJK

JJK Teardrop Maxima Clam

Either of them will help with GHA. Neither of them will help with bubble algae. The valonia (bubble) algae can grow in water that is almost free of nutrients. The only real ways to get rid of it are by manual removal or emerald crabs.

If you decide to use vodka, you will not want to run biopellets on the same tank. It is overkill and would likely result in a massive bacterial bloom. You need to pick one or the other.

A recent thread on RC discusses pros and cons of vodka dosing, and one of the main cons is that it can sometimes result in cyano blooms due to the fact that ethanol interferes with growth of anaerobic bacteria, interfering with the ability of the dosing to reduce nitrates and phosphates. Most of the chemists on that site agree that dosing vinegar is preferable to vodka, but you need to dose 8x as much vinegar as vodka to get the same effect. But I am digressing a bit off topic here...

You asked for personal experiences - I had been dosing vodka on my 90g tank for about 9 months - levels of N and P were un-detectable, and no algae growth. But after 8-9 months I did get some cyano, and switched to vinegar dosing. We have yet to see if that will help.

Hope that helps you a bit.

4. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

Ok great, I'll check on RC for that thread. I've heard about the canyo blooms and thought of "red slime remover" as an adequate remedy if that issue arose.
    Thanks for re assuring the question about using both at the same time.
    I had only heard of vinegar as an alternative option but I've never read any testimonials. I've also heard of using sugar:confused:

Just to be re-assured... Bubble algae would form in water that is free of nutrients meaning that the water is too clean?
    Too much water changes and/or skimming?
    Thanks

5. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

What he is saying is that nutrient starving bubble algae wont work because in can grow in extreme low nutrient environments unlike GHA

6. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

Meaning, the nutrient levels in my tank is too low?
    So then what could be the cause of the both two types of algae striving in my tank?

Sorry, I've never faced algae issues so I don't have much knowledge about it.

7. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

No, the nutrient levels in your tank aren't too low. Bubble algae can grow in high or low nutrient water. It doesn't care! So your nutrients are high, hence the green hair algae. But, you can't kill the bubble algae by starving it, like you would the green hair algae.

8. Click Here!

9. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

I dosed vodka on my tank before the tank broke. I have heard both good and bad things with vodka. One of the biggest problem is that your tank basically becomes addicted to the vodka, once you start you cant stop, as once you remove the carbon source, all the nutrients take off again! I have also heard from a bunch of different "old timers" that it can cause something called "old tank syndrome" where everything just ups and dies on you.

I honestly tried it for 2 months and did see the benefits, however I do not plan on restarting it once my tank is back up again!

I see you are running phosphate reactor...what type of media are you using? How often do you change it. If it is just algea, I would go other routes before doing vodka. I used mine for nitrates. If it is just algea and your parems are ok, I would get a tang for the GHA and some emeralds for the bubble. Make sure your not overfeeding and you are changing your media. Even kill the lights for a bit.

10. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

I have read about the "old tank syndrome". I used to run GFo in the PO4 reactor but I stopped that months ago. I'm now using it for the bioellets.
    I'm gonna cut back on feedings and drop the photo period as well. I really hate this algae thing.
    I do have a Brown Scopas Tang as well as a lawnmower blenny but neither are making much use of the algae.
    I have a naso and a purple in another system but I don't particularly want to add more fish to this tank. Every time I do, they all die. Even if it's a damsel. My tank is cursed lol.

11. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

Oh i see. I hope reducing the photo period helps some:-/

12. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

somewhere I heard that basically the type of bacteria that you encourage with vodka will kill alot of other bacteria in the tank. that is why when you stop you get withdraw.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010