Kent Super Buffer

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by RHorton, Dec 11, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. RHorton

RHorton Pajama Cardinal

Has anybody used this product Kent Super Buffer-dKH?
    I had some givin to me because I wanted to raise my alk

my Ph is 8.2 but my alk is around 2.8 to 2.9. my cal is 380.
    After reading the label it states that it will raise both my ph and my alk but I am hesitant on using it because my ph is always 8.2(with the lights on).so I really didn't want to raise the ph because its stable.

also I know mag plays a part in this but I have been to four different LFS and non of them carry a mag test kit (not sure why).

2. Click Here!

3. telstar

telstar Fire Worm

Never used the kent super buffer. I use Seachem Marine buffer it raises alkalinity and will not bring ph above 8.3 even if inadvertently overdosed.

4. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

I just bought some Super dkH buffer. I rarely dose, only biweekely with one teaspoon to keep my alk stable in my 20G. My pH sits at 8.4 in the middle of the day. If you just want to raise your alk, just use plain baking soda, like Arm and Hammer. Use 1tsp per 20G of water.

5. APC

APC Gigas Clam

I use it regularly - with my water changes, and every 3-4 gallons of evaporation replacement water as well. My PH is stable at 8.4.

Make sure you put it in FRESH WATER and shake it up before you add it to salt water, otherwise it precipitates. Does not take a lot of water...a cup or two is all you need...but it is a critical step.

6. Snowby

Snowby Astrea Snail

I agree with APC, follow the directions and mix in freshwater. Works well. My Alk is 13. A little high. I also dose with Calcium which also has a buffer so this contributes to the high alk. If it gets too high it may precipitate out your calcium. As far as the Mag goes, I have limited experience with. I know its a balancing act. I know there are those that can chime in with regards to the mag and give you a better answer. Overall the Kent product works well.

7. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I have used it before, in fact, I still have a bottle of it. It does bring the alk/dkh up. I think that your numbers are fine, dont mess with it. Luna

1 person likes this.