keeping r/o and mixed saltwater...

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Steve34, Sep 11, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Steve34

Steve34 Feather Star

I picked up 20 gal of R/O water tonight and mixed 15 of it with salt mix prior to a water change. I ended up not using all of it.

In order to store this water for a few days does, or longer it need to be agitated? Or will it be fine in the buckets w/lid as long as it stays in lightproof containers?

Any advice will be appreciated here.

I have 10 Gal w/salt mix and 5 gal fresh r/o water in the orange homer buckets from Home Depot.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

If the salt water is well mixed and aerated then it should be OK for a week or so just aerate for an hour or two before using. The RO water should be fine for a while.

4. Steve34

Steve34 Feather Star

So, if I understand run an air-tube to the salt and let it run. r/o can sit without air?

What is the max length of time either can be stored without problems?

5. loneracer05

loneracer05 Clown Trigger

you are correct. if your using an airstone or something along those lines you can store it for a very long time afew months.and ro water will be fine for a long time aswell

6. johnc101

johnc101 Feather Duster

thats good to hear, I was fixing to ask the same question, if i can store r/o water for a least a month with out having any problems....

Steve 34 good question.........

7. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

what about those 5 gallon buckets of pre mixed salt water
    how long do they sit in the warehouse and the stores before being purchased and used?

sealed tight, no need for continous air, just stick a power head or airstone in it a couple of hours before using IMO

Steve

8. Click Here!

9. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

I agree.