iodine or iodide

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by kylekin, Jul 20, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kylekin

kylekin Bristle Worm

kent sells a product for both, but on their bottle that is iodide it says iodine is toxic.... now i do dont dose for either, one cause people have told me there should be enough iodine in the salt if i do water changes, and two because i can not find an iodine test kit anywhere

2. Click Here!

3. R34dawn

R34dawn Ocellaris Clown

Seachem makes a test kit that tests for both iodine & iodide, iodide is a safer form of iodine

4. kylekin

kylekin Bristle Worm

awesome... so should i get both kits, or just iodide?

5. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Given the choice, I would pick up the Iodine test kit. Iodine I2 is rapidly converted to iodide (a salt of iodine KI or NAI). One of them ionic bond thangs. So getting a total measure in your tank will require the iodine test kit.

Now. Most people don't need this one. I think that Xenia and Macroalgae require iodine and will deplete a system, but you will want to skip it if you have a FOWLR.

6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I have and would never dose any amount of either one of them myself . But thats just me. There has been more then a few studies of them and its still not clear that there is a need to dose it ..

7. kylekin

kylekin Bristle Worm

sweet, thanks for the advice as usuall

8. Click Here!

9. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

Tangster Holy **** you changed your avatar for the first time since i joined!!!!!!!!