Instant Ocean

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by bbsbliss, Jul 28, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bbsbliss

bbsbliss Ritteri Anemone

Anyone else notice that Instant Ocean salt doesn't make as much as it says? I did a water change, made 40 gallons and had to add extra salt to come up to the right salinity. Marketing tool or do I need a new measuring cup?:-/

2. Click Here!

3. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

I'd like to help you out, but I lost count of how many gallons I mixed so far with my 5 gal bucket of I.O. I wouldn't say my water/salt measuring is exactly precise every time either. But it always stays at 1.025 they way I've been mixing it so I haven't changed what I'm doing.
    What is the SG level or PPT salinity you are shooting for?
    I.O. references using a 1.026 mixture on their website.

4. Swede

Swede Flamingo Tongue

I would double check that your refractometer/hydrometer is correctly calibrated.

Also bear in mind that if your are testing the salinity straight after mixing it up then you are going to get a low reading as some of the salt will be in suspension rather than solution. Ideally you should leave it for a few hours if not overnight to ensure that it is fully mixed.

If you are already doing all of this then returning to your original question, I couldn't tell you off hand but it wouldn't be the first time that a big company has tried to rip off the public would it?;D

5. bbsbliss

bbsbliss Ritteri Anemone

I test my water-change water at 24 hours, well mixed and heated. I was curious if any other brands were possibly more consistent- I guess I'll have to experiment!

6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

How can you tell what the gallonage is totally ? And what level of S/G do you mix the water to ? the box of I/O is rated for 1.022 .

7. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

correct. i've never had a problem with IO. Always been good to me.

8. Click Here!

9. homegrowncorals

homegrowncorals Ribbon Eel

1 level cup of Instant Ocean salt and 2 gallons of water, keeps my water right at 1.024 never had a problem.

10. bbsbliss

bbsbliss Ritteri Anemone

I wonder if using R/O water versus tap is the difference? My first water change was with straight outta the well water (I know, don't punish me, I was learning!), and this second one was with conditioned water. I also went back and checked all my products, and my salt is pretty old- 2006. Anyway, thanks for the responses!

11. BaxterS80

BaxterS80 Pajama Cardinal

2 and 1/2 cups(heaping cups) puts me at 1.026 in a 5 gallon bucket. Now mind you I do not the bucket to the very top. I keep 4 mixed buckets and 40 gallons RO/DI water on hand at all times....Also, remember if you are testing the sg at the time of mixing, you are not getting an accurate reading, Until the salt fully saturates the water you probably will get different readings if you read it multiple times. Also, temperature directly affects sg.

12. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

I find it make more to be honest..