Old 04-05-2013, 10:35 AM   #11
Astrea Snail

Skin: Mint
CrashNT is on a distinguished road

gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
That right there jumps out at me.

Tank sitters always feed A LOT more than you'd like them to if they don't know what they're doing.

Agreed. Also, If big water changes are not your thing(I know its not mine) then I would look into adding more macro algae as they consume no3 to grow. DSB, plenium box and mangroves are also some other natural no3 reduction techniques.

I wish you luck, with whatever you decide to do
CrashNT is offline   Reply With Quote Top

Click Here!
Old 04-05-2013, 12:27 PM   #12
Astrea Snail

pete33 is on a distinguished road

gallery

I would suggest double checking with a more accurate test kit. I'll bet you aren't at 40. The only thing that API test kit is good for is to show if you have nitrates or not.
pete33 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-05-2013, 01:05 PM   #13
Giant Squid

m2434 has a reputation beyond reputem2434 has a reputation beyond reputem2434 has a reputation beyond reputem2434 has a reputation beyond reputem2434 has a reputation beyond reputem2434 has a reputation beyond reputem2434 has a reputation beyond reputem2434 has a reputation beyond reputem2434 has a reputation beyond reputem2434 has a reputation beyond reputem2434 has a reputation beyond repute

gallery

Agree, kits aren't very accurate. If your tank is thriving though, it's tough to argue that you should worry much about it I don't actually remember the last time I tested N though. Algae is usually a better indicator of a problem then test kits IMHO. If the tank is happy and I'm not having issues with algae, then I don't usually bother... more likely to cause headaches than actually solve any issues at that point....
m2434 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-05-2013, 01:21 PM   #14
Giant Squid

Todd_Sails has a reputation beyond reputeTodd_Sails has a reputation beyond reputeTodd_Sails has a reputation beyond reputeTodd_Sails has a reputation beyond reputeTodd_Sails has a reputation beyond reputeTodd_Sails has a reputation beyond reputeTodd_Sails has a reputation beyond reputeTodd_Sails has a reputation beyond reputeTodd_Sails has a reputation beyond reputeTodd_Sails has a reputation beyond reputeTodd_Sails has a reputation beyond repute

gallery

Let a mass of chaeto grow in your sump, and try and eliminate any nitrates factories in your system.

Are you saying that they were also at 40 before you went on your trip?
Todd_Sails is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-05-2013, 01:27 PM   #15
Flamingo Tongue

lionfish77 is on a distinguished road

gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_Sails View Post
Let a mass of chaeto grow in your sump, and try and eliminate any nitrates factories in your system.

Are you saying that they were also at 40 before you went on your trip?
No not 40 but they do get very high and jump quickly. Does anyone believe I should have this high nitrates with my bio load and filtration?
lionfish77 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-05-2013, 02:35 PM   #16
Flamingo Tongue

lionfish77 is on a distinguished road

gallery

I bought a green torch coral yesterday fed it put it in the sand and it is wide open and looking nice. If i had high nitrates would it even be open?
lionfish77 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-05-2013, 07:12 PM   #17
Great White Shark

Robman has a reputation beyond reputeRobman has a reputation beyond reputeRobman has a reputation beyond reputeRobman has a reputation beyond reputeRobman has a reputation beyond reputeRobman has a reputation beyond reputeRobman has a reputation beyond reputeRobman has a reputation beyond reputeRobman has a reputation beyond reputeRobman has a reputation beyond reputeRobman has a reputation beyond repute

gallery

Softies in my experience don't mind "dirty tanks" they actually seem to thrive. It is when you add SPS you have to worry about this.
Robman is offline   Reply With Quote Top

Click Here!

Tags
high nitrates