Granular Ferric Oxide (GFO)

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by nanomania, Sep 14, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nanomania

nanomania Vagabond Butterfly

Hey guys,
    iv been having a huge algae prob due to phosphates. i wana use GFO but im not getting that here in india where i stay. Im getting powdered ferric oxide. is there any way of using that? or is ther any way of converting it into GFO? also want t know that is rowa phos better than GFO? even if it is, its not always available here, so if incase i gets over, il have to wait god knows for howmany months. my only option is ferric oxide. any idea?

2. Click Here!

3. Jmblec2

Jmblec2 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

could see if you can get bio pellets?

4. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

here is what ferric oxide is,

ferric oxide 
    noun Chemistry.
    a dark-red, crystalline, water-insoluble solid, Fe2O3, occurring naturally, as hematite and rust, or synthesized: used chiefly as a pigment, as a mordant, as a coating for magnetic recording tape, and in the manufacture of polishing compounds.

I wouldnt use that lol What kind of water are you using, Also what are your phospate readings? What color is the Algae?

The first step would be to find where you are getting the Phospahtes from is it from food, water or what have you.

Then to hep rid your tank of them Grab GFO or rowa phos, bio pellets what ever you can get of that sort.

5. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

i would not use powdered ferric oxide, but if you can get the granular ferric oxide (GFO) then go for it.
    Your other options are biopellets and the commercial products designed to bind phosphates out (i think i remember Brightwell making one called phosphat-E?)

6. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Yeah, the it's my understanding that a key functional property of GFO is the size of the granules and pores on the surface of the granules. Even if powdered ferric oxide is chemically the same, it probably won't have the pores and the size may be too small to contain within a reactor. If it leaks out of the reactor, you could end up just introducing a ton of iron into your system and actually driving algae. The pores are to increase the surface area. So, it may work though, as it's small and has a lot of surface area to begin with, however, again, if it leaks into your system it could be a headache. Also, GFO is very pure, so, it depends on the source and impurities too. I probably wouldn't use it though.

7. nanomania

iv ordered bio pellets and rowaphos but the reactors are coming after a month or two. phosphates are since a very long time, i guess due to feeding or snails that died in my tank and dint remove. there are all kinds of algae xcept bubble and many plants growing too on my LR.

8. Click Here!

9. nanomania

hey just read about using "Bayferrox® G", its ferric oxide grains. has anyone used it? the company has a factory in my city.

10. nanomania