Frozen food gone bad = high nitrates?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by suckafish, Jan 28, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. suckafish

suckafish Montipora Capricornis

So when testing my water yesterday i found i had high nitrate. Nothing that i know of has died. Since i bought my sun coral i have started to stop feed twice a week. I use frozen cyclopids, mystis shrrimp, rodifers (sp). this is the only feed i do all week is just the two times [since it goes to all my corals and fish i feed about 10 mL of my food mixture]. here is a couple of questions:

would freezer burned food be more likly to put off more nitrates?
    would defrosting then freezeing and defrosting again cause the food to put off more nitrates?
    could the binding agent in the froozen food put off alot nitrates?
    some of the cyclopids have changed from a redish color to light brown/tanish color, those chunks should just be tossed right?
    any other ideas besides the normal as to why my nitrates are so high?

i know nothing died. But since i got rid off all the GHA is there just nothing to take up the NO3 anymore for the LR is just over worked (29gal DT, and 10gal fug with easy 60-70lbs LR).

2. Click Here!

3. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

I could be wrong, but I don't think that any of that would increase nitrates put off.

4. suckafish

suckafish Montipora Capricornis

i am not sure either, thats why i asked. because we can not figure out why the jump in NO3. i mean i havnt tested in a long time, but everything was doing fine till latly i noticed that one of my brains wasnt puffing out as much as he normally does, and a couple of my candy cane heads [they were small and fighting back from GHA take over] relased them selves from their skeleton. but another of my brains was the biggest i have ever seen him latey.

anyother ideas as to how my NO3 jumped up. mind you this test came 8 hours after doing a 10gal water change. and the water i use now is much better [long story but now my filter has an ro membrain in it]

5. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

maybe freezer burnt food was bad and nothing ate it thus leading to decaying items in your tank decay = nitrates. just a theroy