dual inline TDS meter question

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Onjinsan, Jan 21, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Onjinsan

Onjinsan Fire Worm

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this question but here goes. I recently got an RO/DI unit and today I got a dual inline TDS meter. I know where to put the one inline T fitting (in the line where the water comes out) but not sure where to put the other?

The RO/DI unit has 4 canisters, in this order, paper, carbon, membrane, DI resin. I'm guessing I would want to put the other T fitting between the carbon and the membrane. That way I would know when the carbon is exhausted before it gets to the $$$$ membrane.

Thanks for any help.

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

You can put it there or where the water comes in from the connection to the plumbing.

If this is the model I think it is, make sure you read the directions. There are 2 pins on both the output and the input John Guest connectors. They have to be lined up correctly or you'll get false readings.

4. Onjinsan

Onjinsan Fire Worm

http://tdsmeter.com/tools/product_detail/files/0009.jpg

Thanks for your reply, it is this one. Since I know the water from the spout is bad, (I only have to dip the sensor in the stream), I thought monitoring the water further down the line to be of better use. I'm certain my water will burn out the cartridges pretty fast and the membrane cartridge is pretty pricey. So perhaps it is better to know when the carbon is exhausted before it gets to the membrane.

I also noted with the instructions how the probes need to be set, since they turn quite easily I have marked it with a felt tip pen to be certain the probes are lined up.

5. hydrojeff

hydrojeff Montipora Capricornis

i have the bulkreefsupply one and in the directions it does not say anything about the pins direction, which way are they suposed to be, the two inline with water flow or like a u so it hits both pins at the same time? thanks and sorry for hijacking your thread Onjinsan....

6. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

It was years ago since I installed mine and I don't remember.....it was supposed to be perfectly horizontal or perfectly vertical. I would PM Onjinsan

7. nctinter

nctinter Skunk Shrimp

Hydro. It is supposed to have the two prongs perpendicular to the water flow. So In other words not in line with the waterflow, but the water hittting both at the same time. At least that is what the directions said on mine. I didn't get mine from bulkreef but they carry it. It is the DM-1 in line dual tds monitor which seems to be a common one.

8. Click Here!

9. hydrojeff

hydrojeff Montipora Capricornis

sweet thanks for the info

10. bc219

bc219 Millepora

I have the same one that I got from www.thefilterguyz.biz and I followed their instructions to hook mine up. The water goes in after it leaves the RO canisters and the output is the water the comes out of the DI, that way you can see the TDS from the RO (which for me is normally about 120) then the TDS after it leaves the DI, which for me is always 0.

This model does not come with pins or anything like that you just put the water lines in the water line things.

Regarding the part about the probes being set, I don't really reacal reading about that in the directions, maybe I should read again, however it was not in the directions I got with the unit, nor mentioned by the owner of the company to pay much attention to that.

11. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

I bought the exact same one from bulk reef supply. The instructions said to make sure you can see both pins while looking through either end. In other words to make sure both pins were perpendicular to the water flow.

I put my output probe after my DI filters and the input between the RO output and DI input. By doing this I discovered that my DI beads were actually polluting the water and needed to be changed. The output of the RO was nice and low about 5 ppm or so and the output of the DI was > 100 ppm. Once I replaced the DI material I'm getting 0 out of the the unit. If you don't monitor both places you won't know what needs to be replaced once your TDS starts moving up.

12. Onjinsan

Onjinsan Fire Worm

These are what my instructions show also.

Pg, now you got me thinking perhaps I want to put the additional probe between the membrane (I think this is what you are calling the RO unit, correct?my unit only refers to it as membrane) and the DI canister so I will know when that is exhausted. Vs putting it between the carbon cartridge and the membrane (RO canister). You got my point tho, which canisters need monitoring. Almost makes me want a third meter!

BC, If I understand you correctly you are actually monitoring the DI canister also, before and after, correct?

Ro->meter-> DI ->meter

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009