Brightwell Aquatics Bio Fuel

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by steve wright, Nov 10, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

anyone on this site using the above product?
    I purchased a bottle today and am going to trial it on my reef tank for the duration of this bottle (provided nobody shouts - dont do it Steve! at me)

My test kits tell me I have 0 Nitrates and Phosphates
    but the green colouration on my rock work, tells me my test kits are not as fast as the micro algae I am presently culturing

I have been reading that Vodka dosing or Biopellets can be used to help reduce a problem of the type I am experiencing

but stumbled across the Brightwell range in a LFS this afternoon and figured it seems a safer option to Vodka dosing and more convenient than running with the pellets

so anyone, any experience of this product?

Steve

2. Click Here!

3. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

doesn't answer your question, but FWIW, I run the WM ecobak pellets in a bag that hangs in my overflow... until I ran these I always had about 5-10 measurable nitrates. now, it's zero. since I don't run a reactor, it was very easy to do. I've also noticed a marked difference in coral coloration, and they're all much nicer looking.

1 person likes this.
  4. steve wright

Thank you Will

I do have a unopened pack of BP biopellets but as yet, have not got around to trying them .
    bag hanging in the overflow, gives me an idea - reactors are not a common use item where I am , so sourcing is a pain
    but maybe a bag in an Aquaclear HOB filter I still have could prove effective

Steve

5. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

I don't see why not... just be patient with it... it took about 3-4 months before I noticed the nitrates/phosphates started to drop and corals colored up, then another couple of months for my algae to be gone. Since then, it's been smooth sailing...

I personally find measured liquid carbon (vodka, etc) dosing to be too much of a chore to make it something I would want to start and do regularly...

I have read reports of folks kick-starting their bacterial mass by starting with vodka dosing and then doing pellets... have also read of this potentially causing cyano outbreaks, so I am not sure if it's the best thing to do.

6. NittyGritty

NittyGritty Millepora

DO NOT overdose. I did and BAM, Cyano. Also, look into Microbactor7 first for a couple weeks, then following it up with the Biofuel. Thats the route Im going.

1 person likes this.
  7. steve wright

unreal - I also purchased that product, simply because it stated it was OK in freshwater also, and I have a new FW set up cycling thats a bit cloudy so I figured some additional bacteria might help me out on that set up

Steve

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Do tell? Did you post a thread about this newest aquatic adventure?

1 person likes this.
  10. steve wright

Not yet amcarrig

I posted a thread about using a 6 x 54 watt T5 unit to illuminate the tank
    its been stood empty on my balcony since August
    I figured - focus on 1 reef tank, but then an empty tank is just a temptation to me, so I figured plants, bogwood and Tetras

Steve

11. crank2211

crank2211 Purple Spiny Lobster

Steve - I've been using MB7 and BioFuel for awhile now with pretty great results. I'm very happy with them both. I started out with the recommended doses - making sure to use just mb7 for a week or two to build up a bacteria colony followed by carefully measured amounts of the fuel. I now just squirt some MB7 in the tank and measure a cap full of fuel out and add. Not very scientific or exact - but works well for me and takes only a couple seconds per day to do.

The combination destroyed a bad case of GHA I had and has held my N&P's at 0 for months according to Salifert and Hanna. The water is very clear, never had problems with bacterial blooms but I have had very small dustings of diatoms once in awhile that could be attributed to the combination, though. Usually it will be the size of a 9V battery and then disappear after a day.

I'm a fan - and would recommend it.

1 person likes this.
  12. steve wright

Thanks very much
    very helpfull - Im glad I got them both now

Ill be starting tomorrow - now I have a plan of action.

Steve