Balancing PH, Fish getting sick...Help

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by aussiejodie, Sep 24, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. aussiejodie

aussiejodie Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Background. We have 2 reef tanks the issue is the one which is 130ltr (sorry aussie measurements) we have skimmers on both but we turn off the one every night on the 130Ltr tank as its in our sons bedroom and its noisy.

In this tank we have had a few fish deaths recently (ick) and the corals are slowing down their growth. All parameters are good - even purchased an electronic PH tester today - best purchase ever - and found out that PH is at 8:1

We are wondering i we are having stress issues with the fish due to the PH dropping because we dont have as much oxygen through the tank as number 2 tank, running 24 hours, as we switch off the skimmer each night.

How can i keep the PH high, can i add an air stone to increase O2 as there needs to be a balance between oxygen and Co2 - created by live rock etc.

Any ideas appreciated

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. NEW REEFER

NEW REEFER Fire Worm

Air stone would not be a bad idea since you turn of the skimmer at night, it would help.
    What kind of ph detector do u have????

4. aussiejodie

Until today i used a API marine test kit. I could never really tell if the colour was correct. I just purhased a ZOO brand electronic digital PH pen. AU$130 - AZOO AQUA

1 person likes this.
  5. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

I will suggest that when you post and are asking for help or for ideas, please include all basic information. Basic information should include; all water parameters(Calcium,Magnesium,Alkalinity,Ph and Nitrate and Phosphate levels) along with Temp. of your tank and Sg (specific gravity).Size of tank and complete set up meaning, filter type (sump, canister etc.), if you use a skimmer,lighting (what type and total output)plus what type of lighting are you using and what is your lighting schedule (how long a period are your actinic and daylights on) and if you have fish only with live rock and if you keep
    corals. Also how long the tank has been up. I know some of this is in your bio but many bios don't contain this info. How many times has someone posted and then there is this list of postings addressing the above. If you give the most info you can to give us a good profile, it will cut down on response time and mis-diagnosis or answers that don't
    fit and we will all benefit.

6. aussiejodie

7. aussiejodie

Here is all the information you requested.
    PH 8.1, Temp 79, SG 1.022, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, Nitrate 10, Calcium 420, KH 14,I dont have a test for Mag. 130Ltr, Aqualina T5 - 2 actinic 6 hours 2 daylight 8 hours + nightlight all remote timers, Octopus Skimmer, Eheim canister 2313, water fan.
    Live rock and sand, soft corals, 1 x Angel, 1 x mandarin, 2 new clowns, several pistol shrimp, hermit crabs.

8. Click Here!

9. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Hello Aussie, 8.1 PH is not that low, only slightly. To raise it to the optimal range of 8.2-8.4 you can use Baking soda at 1 teaspoon per 20 gal. of water volume. Remember, when figuring out water volume, subtract the rock and substrate. A good estimation if you have a substantial amount of rock is to subtract 10 gal. from the tank capacity. Before using the Baking Soda, allow the ALk to fall to 12 dkh. The high Alk is affecting the PH. Mag is somewhat less important if you don't house hard (and some soft) coral, however, all elements work in tandem and should be maintained in the proper synergistic ratios. Get a test kit and keep your Mag at at least 1150 for fish only.

10. aussiejodie

Thanks for your help.I have also found out that PH changes depending on the time of day. Higher on the morning lower at night so i need to be consistant in the time i check Ph

11. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Absolutely, I usually ask that question (time of day checked) I missed it this time. Mid-day is a good time as PH should be at its' peak then.