API Buffer Max-->closed up corals

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by irr0001, May 1, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

I ran out of my kent 2 part buffer..and the lfs guy recommended i used API Buffer Max and API Calcium..i followed the directions for the buffer "Add one scoop (5 cc) of powder per 10 US gallons directly to aquarium"..I did (added to sump) and within seconds every one of my corals closed up..Has anyone used this stuff? did it happen to you? I'm going to mix it with my top off water first next time i use it and see if that helps

2. Click Here!

3. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Did you get a spike in ph?

4. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

no it stayed right around 8.2..it was seriously within 2 seconds of me adding it they all just instantly closed up

5. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

I made a post a while ago about this same thing. I have been weary of using anything like this since then. I thought I was going to lose a couple corals when I did it. I used less then the recommended dosage and went slow but had the same reaction. My coral took about a week to look right again. I would like to see some of the other responses as ive had the same issue.

6. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

mine opened up within a couple of hours..but i dont think i'm going to use it again..i'm just going to stick with the liquid stuff..something that makes them close up that fast can't be good..

7. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

okay i'm done with this stuff. Added it this morning mixed in with my top off water. this stuff isn't soluble at all. mixed 3 scoops with 5 gal of water and it looked like it was snowing in my tank..ph jumped from 8.2-8.6 within 2 minutes

8. Click Here!

9. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

If I had a Carbonate snowstorm in my tank from just adding a common buffer, I would be concerned that my Magnesium was very low or my Calcium was very high (or both).

10. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

I'm pretty sure it was the powder itself..when i put it in my top off bucket it it all just sank to the bottom so I stirred it up real good for a while and i still don't think it dissolved..when it starts to settle in my tank an when it lands on the corals is when they close up

11. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

I looked up that product and it is for raising PH. That product doesn't say anything about Alkalinity like the second part of a two part system is for. Not sure the LFS suggested the correct buffer. I use Seachem Reef Builder to raise and/or buffer for Alkalinity and it states it will not raise PH, that is the type of buffer you want.

1 person likes this.
  12. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

okay..thanks unclejed..I'm just going to go back to my kent nano reef A&B..it's never done me wrong lol