True Percula experiences

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by gabbagabbawill, Apr 27, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

I really want a clown fish and it's come down to either a True Percula or a B/W Australian Percula. My LFS has a really nice looking True Perc in for $35 that I'm considering...

I don't like the B/W ones from ORA, for one, too small to begin with, and two they don't shape up the way other clowns do for some reason...

My LFS can get the australian B/W one in, but they can take a while and are exp$ensive!

I'm looking for suggestions and opinions, especially from those with experience... Also, are these fish docile enough to keep with the following:

various gobies, lemonpeel angel, banggai cardinals, and a mandarin??

Thanks!

Will

2. Click Here!

3. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

I have two percs and I love them. They are very nice tank mates and never bother new additions.

4. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

I have One male perc. He is really indifferent towards other fish, never bothers them... He is very trusting of me also (will come up and eat food from my hands)

5. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

I'm pretty sure the occelaris and percula are docile to anything that's not a clown, at least while they don't have a brood.

6. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

I'm looking at eventually adding a pair of the australian B/W misbars myself, they seem to be about $45 each though :(
    should not be an issue with the listed inhabitants, especially if they are all well entrenched before the clowns arrive.

7. gabbagabbawill

If you're spending that much, just go for the non misbars... they look better, IMO.

8. Click Here!

9. gabbagabbawill

How can you tell if they are male/ female?

10. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

male will submit to the female. the female will be larger. they are one way hermaphrodites so they will go from juvenile, then to male, and then finally to female (but only when there are no other females around)

11. gabbagabbawill

so, will a single perc always be a male? Or will they convert to female when they mature even if kept singly?

Is it possible to get one and then pair them up later?

12. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

will be female if left single long enough. you can get one now and let it become a female... then get a baby later and it will only mature to a male, then stop