Trigger and Lawnmower Blenny

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by totter0817, Sep 23, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. totter0817

totter0817 Purple Spiny Lobster

I have a black trigger and a lawnmower blenny. The trigger is very small, no bigger than 3-4 inches across. I only had the blenny maybe a week before I got the trigger. But I'm pretty sure the blenny is attacking the trigger. When the trigger is out in the open and the light hits him just right, on the sides of his body his perfect lawnmower blenny "kiss" marks on him. I never see them actually attack each other but I can't imagine the trigger putting up with it for long. Any advice? Can a lawnmower blenny pack enough punch in his bite to actually harm my trigger fatally.

I don't want to lose him, I've always wanted a trigger, but with thier aggresiveness i knew it wasnt possible. I only got this one because he was so small and my LFS told me with him being so young he would adapt to his surrondings, including shrimp and not eat them when he gets big enough to.

2. Click Here!

3. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Not a lawnmower(is a blenny) but, has the same disposition and eating habits.
    [​IMG]
    Can be a real PITA sometimes. Never seen him attack other fish. If I put any frags next to his cave, it's over. Pretty territorial.

4. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

I would imagine the blenny is defending himself from the trigger. It doesnt matter how small the trigger is or how he is raised in the tank, he's only going to act on his instincts, and thats going to be to eat your inverts, corals, and terrorize your fish :-/

5. sweetriden76

sweetriden76 Coral Banded Shrimp

my lawnmower blenny hasent ever attacked anything, even my banded goby which looks kinda similar and hangs out around him regularly, he chases the damsels away from his area but never bites them...I'd blame the trigger...

6. ssgheislerswife

ssgheislerswife Ritteri Anemone

Same here! My last one was pretty peaceful and the one I got to replace him is too. We did have some "genius" at work today drop a tiny lawnmower in with a bigger one and the tiny one got harassed but he never bit him. We moved the tiny one to a different tank and they both went back to hiding. The trigger may just be preventing the Blenny from getting to his hidey hole (that's what we call them). Do you have enough rock work for the blenny to get away from the trigger? Also, what kind of trigger is it? I'd never trust one around a shrimp, I've seen what they can do to them.

Edit: Ok, so I re-read and I see it's a Black Trigger. They can be docile. We have one at work that eats out of my hand every day and lets us pet him and manhandle him. He does get mad when we move his rock. He is pretty tolerant of other fish, tangs, rabbitfish, etc. but he'll rip a shrimp or a crab to pieces. He likes to pick things up and move them (he has a plastic plant that he picks up and carries around the tank and if you throw it, he'll catch it and bring it back) so I don't think it would be a good idea to have one around corals.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  7. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Hello totter, I am not sure I would go back to that LFS or at least not listen to what they tell you. Do your own research on compatibility. Here is a good chart;Marine Compatability Chart

8. Click Here!

9. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

That fish chart is a good reference but it's way to general.

If it's a Niger Trigger I would not think it is attacking the Blennie. Hard to say what is going on but I would imagine the Blennie will have a hard time hurting the Trigger.
    Can you get a picture of the damage?

J