sexing ocellaris fish/ true pairs

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by Executivelevel, Feb 3, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Executivelevel

Executivelevel Peppermint Shrimp

I have 2 Ocellaris clowns they are still young and I dont think they are sexed because they are still equal in size (when I got them they were very small) will these clowns likely become a true pair or should I add more of them in hope that they at least 2 will pair off?? Im not necessarily looking to breed them (though in the future I may be interested in trying this) I would just like to have two that have the relationship of the true pairs and rub on each other and school together. How long does it usually take for them to pair, if they will at all??

2. Click Here!

3. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

I would purchase more to increase your chances of a pair forming! Clowns are hermaphrodites, meaning that they start off as males, then the dominant male will change and become the female.
    Right now they are still male and will not change til later on however you run the risk of aggression by the clowns IF a female doesn't develope and a pair the end result.

4. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

I would say just keep the pair.

They will eventually duke it out and decide between themselves which will wear pants (or skirt) in family.

You don't need to do anything but sit back and watch. Hoping that one does not die in process.

Good Luck!

5. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Just give them time. One of them will become the boss, I mean female....

6. JK901

JK901 Skunk Shrimp

That's funny you should mention this because I was reading a book about it last night.

The author was known for breeding clowns in captivity and he said the best way to pair clowns is to buy 6 or 7 fish, let them pair, then sell the rest back to the fish store.

That way your odds of getting not only a pair, but a strong pair are best.

1 person likes this.
  7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Not many fish stores will buy back fish at the full price that a customer has paid for them, if they take them back at all. I would leave the 2 that you have be and hopefully, they'll pair up.

8. Click Here!

9. JK901

JK901 Skunk Shrimp

That is a good point amcarrig. I don't think about that stuff much because I have a good store nearby, but it wouldn't be very good to get a pa
    ir and then not be able to sell the other 4 back ;)