are purple firefish shy?

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by Grant476, Feb 9, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Grant476

Grant476 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I've heard that purple firefish can be shy, if i got like 3 of them would they maybe come out more? The tank is a 90 gallon and I plan on having-
    1 yellow tang
    1 light blue chromis
    2 percula clownfish
    1 sleeper blue dot goby
    1 yellow clown goby
    1 tail spot blenny

Would 3 purple firefish make the bioload too high and will they be very shy or will they come out? Maybe if i put them in first for like a week alone? Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. the fisherman

the fisherman Vlamingii Tang

All fire fish are shy imo. The fish that you listed on your wish list will steal food away from the fire fish. yellow tang,clowns, chromis. Make sure that they (fire fish ) get their fair share of food. Good luck.

4. Reef2Keep

Reef2Keep Purple Spiny Lobster

I had a purple fire fish and he was awesome. He always just chilled in the front of my tank...didn't swim around a lot, but was always hanging out in the front on display. I will say that he was NOT aggresive when it came to feeding time....and I think that ultimately led to his demise:(

5. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

I've heard they can be very shy and hard to feed. But I have no personal experience. Also, I've heard you can keep them in twos, but not threes.

6. montecarloz38

montecarloz38 Fire Shrimp

Had a regular firefish. One died of shyness or actually lack of eating. One is still alive and doing well. He comes out for few hrs, but generaly hides. In pairs I heard they are good. Damsel seem to pick on him, but cardinal picks on damsel so it works out I guess. Fun fish though, you wont regret it.

7. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

Mine hides too, but does come out and hang in the front for several hours a day. And at feeding time he darts around all crazy. He gets plenty of food.

8. Click Here!

9. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

I had a purple firefish with a flasher wrasse and he was totally fine with the wrasse, they got along great. The firefish was well established in the tank before I added the wrasse though. I think you might have issues, especially with that tang that is an aggressive feeder.

If you do decide to try it make sure you give the firefish a good amount of time to get established in the tank before adding other fish IMO.

Some people say that they do better in groups but I've never seen it, they pair up in the wild so unless you have a pair I would just do 1 or eventually you might have issues with interspecific aggression.

10. RNO CORALS

RNO CORALS Bristle Worm

They can be shy, mine only comes out at feeding times.

11. ReefDaily

ReefDaily Skunk Shrimp

Yeah they are very shy fish. They are great fish to have in a nano, by themselves or with another fish or too. Thats when they really seem to not be so skittish.

They like to jump too if they get scared. They're a great fish though..