Puffers in a reef tank?

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by Brandon1023, Mar 14, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

Hmmm, I've been doing lots of research on puffer fish lately and I was under the impression before that they eat corals. But check this out:

YouTube - my 150g reef tank (The tank has tons of corals and a puffer)

Or this:

"Pufferfish make excellent reef aquarium fish. That is unless you plan to keep small invertebrates or clams. A clam like the one pictured here (I DON'T SEE THE CLAM PICTURED...) can be a quick meal for many pufferfish. In regards to corals and polyps, pufferfish fair well and can be kept with corals in harmony."

Seen in this article.

Or this article saying:

"They are to be considered reef safe and usually don’t cause any damage to corals."

So...are they OK in a reef or not? I have a Lion now and I don't really care what happens to my CUC. I have enough other little worms and a really good fuge going I don't need to worry about leftover food (which is barely ever any anyways) or algae.

The reason I am asking is because I really want a puffer like THIS!!

However one of the quotes above mentioned something about eating clams. I have a pretty big clam right now that I wouldn't be willing to put in danger.

Your thoughts and experiences?

2. Click Here!

3. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Would be a great issue with me.

My clams and inverts are very important residents in my tank.

Pufferfish definitely NOT "reef safe" in my view. :-/

Scott

4. Executivelevel

Executivelevel Peppermint Shrimp

i have that same puffer, its also called a honeycomb and something else too, but hes a pretty cool little guy. they stay small, but will definatly eat any invert, shrimp, snail, hermit, etc. he doesnt bother my urchins though, hes to small. he will probably get ur clam and star, but should be ok with everything else. he may nip at corals but i dont think its enough to kill any of them

5. Crabby Jim

Crabby Jim Sea Dragon

I would love to have a puffer they are so cool! but I know my clean up crew would be toast.

6. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

i would rather have beneficial clean up crew than unbeneficial large carnivore......

7. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

^ in other words its too reasons not to get in reef, willl eat crew that eats turds, and make much more of them......