Powder Blue Tang in Small Tank

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by imagine7070, Feb 16, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. imagine7070

imagine7070 Flamingo Tongue

Hi everyone, I saw one PBT at the LFS today and it was quite small at 2". My tank info is in the signature, but the tank is about 3 feet long. In your opinions, how long do you guys think the PBT can stay in my tank. I've heard that if you get a fish small enough, it won't grow too large and will adjust itself to your tank... does this apply to larger tangs? Or should I forget it all together. I really love this fish and the way it looks and it's personality, but wouldn't want to jeopardize it. Thanks for the thoughts!

2. Click Here!

3. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

I would scrap the idea!!! They will grow large, moreover, they aren't one of the easier Tangs for a closed system IMO!!! Their are planty of other Tangs that make a wonderful addition to your tank such as the Yellow, Purple, Scopas and Convict Tangs!!!! These have a proven track record of success for a long period of time in a captive environment!!

4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Ditto. The PBT is a very difficult fish to keep alive and it will not do well at all in a small system.

5. JustPhish

JustPhish Peppermint Shrimp

They have iffy survival in captivity and will soon outgrow a tank that size. Then you'll have to stress the hell out of it and you breaking down your rock work to get the tang out of there.

6. imagine7070

Thanks, you guys have confirmed what I have thought before. I guess it was just wishful thinking.

I guess, I'll go grab that Blackback butterfly I was looking at. Thanks again!

7. trizzot

trizzot Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

A fish will not stop growing and adjust its size to your aquarium. It might stop growing, but when it stops growing because your tank is to small it will start mutating or get sick and die. Imagine locking yourself in a closet and keep eating, Will you stop growing and adjust to the size of the closet?? Id try a smaller , easier species.

8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I don't think the butterfly fish is a good idea either. It is also a sensitive fish and may very well eat your corals, fight with your coral beauty and put you over the top with your fish load.

10. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Good suggestion Annik!!!! Couldn't say it better myself!!!!Butterfly fish are a bad idea with polyps and corals for that matter!!!!!!!!!
    IF, and I mean IF you had a fish only tank you could try a Yellow Longnose, Pyramid, Lemon, Kleins or a Raccoon Butterfly as they are a few of the more hardy Butterfly's IMO. The Pyramid and the Bannerfish Butterfly have been raised in reef tanks successfully with no detrimental effects to corals! They need to be fed frequently throughout the day like Anthias' however! Though they aren't as hardy as other fish such as many Angels, Blennies, Gobies, Wrasses, Dottybacks and anemonefish(Clowns)! The last five make wonderful additions to a reef tank!

11. imagine7070

Thanks Coral Reefer... I will definitely take that into consideration. So you think the Yellow Tang would be fine in my tank? If that was the only Tang I had? and also one of my last fish? Thanks for the advice!

12. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Yeah! A yellow Tang won't bother your other fish especially since that will be your most aggressive fish, which is good to add last!