Niger Triggers....reef safe or not??

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by Brandon1023, Feb 19, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

Ok my head is spinning. My friend just got a Niger Trigger and much to my surprise they are a very beautiful fish! And I was excited because he has a book, titled "Marine Fishes," that lists the Niger Trigger as reef safe and one of the more docile triggers.

This has proved true so far in his tank. Well the docile part anyways. His tank is 125gal and FO. He's got a few tangs in there, a snowflake eel, and a damsel. Anyways his Niger Trigger has caused no problems but my worry is the reef safe part.

If I have any compatibility questions I generally consult liveaquaria.com because I have come to trust them and their compatibility chart. But they say pretty much the EXACT opposite of what that book says. I'll do some more research online in a minute but I know for the best advise I should turn to you guys.

So riddle me this, are they reef safe? Or what? Also my tank is only 46 gal and liveaquaria says they need at least 70 gal. Is my tank too small regardless of compatibility? ....help!

2. Click Here!

3. 4G1v3N

4G1v3N Spaghetti Worm

Hey Brandon,
    It is true when you say the niger trigger is one of the more docile triggers, aloong with the pink tail trigger. I think it really matters on the fish's temperment, all fish act differently just like all animals. There has been cases where these triggers will co-exist with coral. One thing you might want to watch for is your inverts! Also these fish are highly active swimmers thats why they require allot of swimming room to keep the fish happy. Hope this info helps ya!
    -Jordan

4. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

There are several species of triggers that are RELATIVELY reef safe. However, although they probably wont eat corals, all bets are off when it comes to snails, crabs and shrimp. My friend has a Niger Trigger in a 75g with a few corals which it leaves alone but it tries to eat crabs and snails.

Your 46g tank is way too small for a Niger Trigger which grows large (20") and fast. These fish are also voracious eaters and will pollute a reef tank in no time. They also like to move rocks around and will rearrange your tank.

The only trigger that I might even consider for a larger reef tank without motile invertebrates would be a Blue Throat Trigger which IMO is the least aggressive and is also an open water swimmer. These only grow to about 9" but also have a large appetite as all triggers do.

5. Birchell

Birchell Gigas Clam

+ what everyone said!! They will not eat corals, but will eat shrimp, crabs, snails, ect... They love to swim, and will destroy a confined reef. If you had a large tank, like around 200 gallons I would say go for it. Then all the inverts would be able to get away, and the niger would be more worried about you feeding him, lol. Hope this helps,

Michael

6. dragonflylures

dragonflylures Flamingo Tongue

I have a Niger Trigger in a 72 gallon bowfront tank with about 15 hermit crabs, a coral banded shrimp, a cleaner shrimp, snails, emerald crab, horseshoe crab, an anenome and some mushrooms -- as well as other fish -- and he leaves everyone alone. He hasn't picked off one crab, shrimp etc. He's been very docile BUT I wouldn't bring one into a tank hoping he wouldn't touch anything.
    The trigger was almost an original in the tank and hasn't bothered any additions --- luck or personality but I would really not chance it in a 46 gallon.

7. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

The Blue-Throat, Pink-Tailed and Niger are the closest to reef safe as far as Triggers are concerned aas mentioned above! You will have a better chance of them keeping to themselves if they are properly fed IMO!
    Of course their are exceptions to the rule as just because something is considered reef safe doesn't make it 100% safe! Same applies to something that is suppose to NOT be considered reef safe and ends up being so!

8. Click Here!

9. scot1759

scot1759 Plankton

They are ok with coral but are VERY hardy eaters DO not put small clowns in with one they will eat them...Lost 4 clowns to my Trigger and 2 Domino Demsils. I finally was able to move him to his own 75 gallon tank...Granted this guy is only 5 inches long at this time. They have rows of teeth and dont mind using them. They are ok with fish larger than they are particular fish that are semi aggressive.

10. Toby the Puffer

Toby the Puffer Bristle Worm

11. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

thread is from 2007, IMO the only trigger that would be compatible with inverts/small fish would be plankton eating ones like red tail and bluethroat.

12. nightster

nightster Pajama Cardinal

I had a cleaner shrimp that I didn't care for (food thief) and also wanted a niger trigger so I thought score, 2 for one. I bought the niger trigger acclimated and dropped him in and prepared myself to watch it destroy the cleaner shrimp. The NT immediately saw the cleaner shrimp swam up to it to attack, or so I thought, stopped right in front of the shrimp opened his mouth and without hesitating the cleaner shrimp started cleaning its mouth. Needless to say I didn't lose any coral or inverts to my NT. Both got sold off eventually.