ad-button

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2009, 11:47 AM   #31
Blue Ringed Angel

Skin: Mint
coldshot has a reputation beyond reputecoldshot has a reputation beyond reputecoldshot has a reputation beyond reputecoldshot has a reputation beyond reputecoldshot has a reputation beyond reputecoldshot has a reputation beyond reputecoldshot has a reputation beyond reputecoldshot has a reputation beyond reputecoldshot has a reputation beyond reputecoldshot has a reputation beyond reputecoldshot has a reputation beyond repute

gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermano View Post
I've had my tank for over a year and I still dont think my tank is ready for a mandarin..let alone 2. I always do some late night looking with a red flashlight, and i dont see any pods. IMHO I would just stick with one! And that is exactly what it is, an opinion. But for fact? A mandarin eats pods, those pods have to have a sustainable population. Unless you can get them to eat prepared food...with 2 mandarins, you would be constantly replenishing the population. And pops aren't cheap. Anywho...good luck!
I had a family emergency a couple week's ago and only had a few coral's in the tank and a few filter feeder's and had to leave town and was not dure for how long so I dumped an 8 ounce bottle of Phyto in the tank and left the filter's off and now I can hold a glass up to the tank with a light at night and see huge cloud's of pod's and believe it or not the little flatworm's have not been seen since putting her in here either. She is the only fish and she does eat other food's not just pod's so when she is lookin hungry I will more than gladly take her back to the store..The Cheaoto is not visible it is under a rubble pile in th eback corner...I didnt get it for pod's though it was just for Nitrates....thnx
coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote Top

Click Here!
Old 05-02-2009, 11:52 AM   #32
Blue Ringed Angel

coldshot has a reputation beyond reputecoldshot has a reputation beyond reputecoldshot has a reputation beyond reputecoldshot has a reputation beyond reputecoldshot has a reputation beyond reputecoldshot has a reputation beyond reputecoldshot has a reputation beyond reputecoldshot has a reputation beyond reputecoldshot has a reputation beyond reputecoldshot has a reputation beyond reputecoldshot has a reputation beyond repute

gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHorton View Post
hey coldshot,
I had a mandrine for a while, unfortunately he wouldn't not eat any frozen food that I tried to give him(which yours does so thats good). within a month he cleared my tank of a healthy pod population, I had allot in my refuguim so I put him in there for a while it took him a week to wipe out the pod population in my refuge. He lasted about 3 months. I was using phyto to try to boost my pod population but it wasn't enough to feed him.
My mandrine was only about an inch.

Just trying to give you an idea on how much they eat.
the fact that yours eats frozen foods is a big plus.
It was'nt my idea for the fish, There is a six year old girl here alot and it was her idea....if she wanted it cloudy in the restroom I would do a rain dance....Not that it would make it cloudy but she would know I tried....
Old 05-04-2009, 08:26 AM   #33
Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Paro6k has a spectacular aura aboutParo6k has a spectacular aura about

gallery
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldshot View Post
It was'nt my idea for the fish, There is a six year old girl here alot and it was her idea....if she wanted it cloudy in the restroom I would do a rain dance....Not that it would make it cloudy but she would know I tried....
So if she said she wanted a clown trigger you'd throw it in no questions asked?

Why would you ask how often you need to add pods if your mandarin is eating all kinds of frozen foods? something doesn't add up, but once it goes through the population of pods in the tank expect to add pods every few days. If you watch they eat every 3-5 seconds. At $10-20 a bottle you would have saved money by getting a fuge in the long run. (making one costs around $20 + however much you spend on a pump)
Paro6k is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-04-2009, 09:36 AM   #34
Spaghetti Worm

sharkyshark will become famous soon enoughsharkyshark will become famous soon enoughsharkyshark will become famous soon enoughsharkyshark will become famous soon enough

gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paro6k View Post
So if she said she wanted a clown trigger you'd throw it in no questions asked?
I think the poster would explain to the child that this simply isn't a good idea and that the clown trigger would probably eat the manderin....
sharkyshark is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-04-2009, 07:42 PM   #35
Blue Ringed Angel

gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkyshark View Post
I think the poster would explain to the child that this simply isn't a good idea and that the clown trigger would probably eat the manderin....
he is just being a smart ass that's all...no biggie
Old 05-04-2009, 07:51 PM   #36
Giant Squid

PackLeader has a reputation beyond reputePackLeader has a reputation beyond reputePackLeader has a reputation beyond reputePackLeader has a reputation beyond reputePackLeader has a reputation beyond reputePackLeader has a reputation beyond reputePackLeader has a reputation beyond reputePackLeader has a reputation beyond reputePackLeader has a reputation beyond reputePackLeader has a reputation beyond reputePackLeader has a reputation beyond repute

3reefer 
contributor 
3link 
gallery

Danny, have you thought about setting up a seperate system for breeding the pods yourself? Its fairly easy and cheap to do. I do it for my mandarin, and the pods system is nothing but a 5 gallon bucket, airstone, cheap heater, and some kitchen sponges. I think it cost me around $20-$30 to do.
PackLeader is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-05-2009, 10:32 AM   #37
Blue Ringed Angel

gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackLeader View Post
Danny, have you thought about setting up a seperate system for breeding the pods yourself? Its fairly easy and cheap to do. I do it for my mandarin, and the pods system is nothing but a 5 gallon bucket, airstone, cheap heater, and some kitchen sponges. I think it cost me around $20-$30 to do.
That is what I am going to do. I got the kid a 5 galon tank and she is doin it, she doesnt like it much cause she cant see the PetPod's...lol...
Old 05-05-2009, 11:46 AM   #38
Montipora Digitata

cdeboard has a reputation beyond reputecdeboard has a reputation beyond reputecdeboard has a reputation beyond reputecdeboard has a reputation beyond reputecdeboard has a reputation beyond reputecdeboard has a reputation beyond reputecdeboard has a reputation beyond reputecdeboard has a reputation beyond reputecdeboard has a reputation beyond reputecdeboard has a reputation beyond reputecdeboard has a reputation beyond repute

gallery

Wow, glad I did not buy a mandarin now. I was looking at one at the LFS. Went with an orange spotted goby instead. I have seen maybe 1 or 2 pods in my live rock at times.
Should I get some for my tank as well? I have two clarkii (sebae) clowns.. one maroon clown.. the goby.. one damsel.. a firefish.
cdeboard is offline   Reply With Quote Top

Click Here!

Tags
madarin goby, pods