ad-button

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2009, 06:07 PM   #21
3reef Moderator

Skin: Classic
amcarrig has a reputation beyond reputeamcarrig has a reputation beyond reputeamcarrig has a reputation beyond reputeamcarrig has a reputation beyond reputeamcarrig has a reputation beyond reputeamcarrig has a reputation beyond reputeamcarrig has a reputation beyond reputeamcarrig has a reputation beyond reputeamcarrig has a reputation beyond reputeamcarrig has a reputation beyond reputeamcarrig has a reputation beyond repute

supporter 
3reefer 
contributor 

gallery

No need for tempers to flare please. Everybody gets frustrated from time to time so let's please just answer the question(s) or step away from the thread.
amcarrig is offline   Reply With Quote Top

Click Here!
Old 05-01-2009, 11:53 PM   #22
Plankton

Skin: Mint
I<3Mandarins is doing something  right

gallery
Default I have mated pair of mandarins

Listen it doesn't matter how much reading you do you will never know exactly what to do. People will always tell you that you can't. I have a mated pair of mandarins. I have had them for a year. When I first bought them they were together at the store apparently the female went through all the males and found her mate. In your case you have one right? well if already have one it's not wise to put another one. Whether it be male or female. I tried it once where I had a male put in a female and then the male almost killed her and that was in a 50g tank. I started with my mated pair in a 30g for about six months they were happy healthy etc. I went to a bigger tank now which is a 125g and still they are doing good. What I do suggest is a refugium so that you can reproduce coco-pods. Some LFS should have it by now. It's a bottle called Dr.G's co-pods or something like that. But that is only really to supply your refugium and throw in your tank for them to eat now.
I<3Mandarins is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-02-2009, 05:23 AM   #23
Bubble Tip Anemone

Bunner has a reputation beyond reputeBunner has a reputation beyond reputeBunner has a reputation beyond reputeBunner has a reputation beyond reputeBunner has a reputation beyond reputeBunner has a reputation beyond reputeBunner has a reputation beyond reputeBunner has a reputation beyond reputeBunner has a reputation beyond reputeBunner has a reputation beyond reputeBunner has a reputation beyond repute

3reefer 

gallery

not sure if you read the pocket manual of marine fishes. I think its a really common book and very informative. Here is what it says:

"These fish too often starve in newly set up or sterile tanks... will ignore other fish species, but males will attack other male conspecifics... "

I would just be sure to sex them properly. So although that doesn't say anything about if your specific setup can house 2 mandarins, it will be difficult. I have read that some people have "trained" them to eat cyclopeez but who knows if these are true. I hope this is more helpful then my last "opinion" post. If you decide to try it though best of luck and let us know how they do!
Bunner is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-02-2009, 06:25 AM   #24
Zoanthid

ermano has a reputation beyond reputeermano has a reputation beyond reputeermano has a reputation beyond reputeermano has a reputation beyond reputeermano has a reputation beyond reputeermano has a reputation beyond reputeermano has a reputation beyond reputeermano has a reputation beyond reputeermano has a reputation beyond reputeermano has a reputation beyond reputeermano has a reputation beyond repute

gallery

I've had my tank for over a year and I still dont think my tank is ready for a mandarin..let alone 2. I always do some late night looking with a red flashlight, and i dont see any pods. IMHO I would just stick with one! And that is exactly what it is, an opinion. But for fact? A mandarin eats pods, those pods have to have a sustainable population. Unless you can get them to eat prepared food...with 2 mandarins, you would be constantly replenishing the population. And pops aren't cheap. Anywho...good luck!
ermano is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-02-2009, 10:35 AM   #25
Blue Ringed Angel

coldshot has a reputation beyond reputecoldshot has a reputation beyond reputecoldshot has a reputation beyond reputecoldshot has a reputation beyond reputecoldshot has a reputation beyond reputecoldshot has a reputation beyond reputecoldshot has a reputation beyond reputecoldshot has a reputation beyond reputecoldshot has a reputation beyond reputecoldshot has a reputation beyond reputecoldshot has a reputation beyond repute

gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadpole1mill View Post
it sounds like your upset everyone just said no to the two mandarins BUT you did ask if you can keep a male and female and the general answer is no.
Actually havin two mandarins is not the issue at all, It was a simple questiion based on reading about other fish such as angel fish they clearly state only one per tank, the mandarin is the only fish that doesnt have that statement assosiated with his name so it more or less a question on his temperment not my desire to have more than one in the tank the question was how long should it take it take a mandarin to wipe out the pod population the first and foremost question on the list...So no I am not upset about it I am a grown man and will not get upset over a fish situation. this was clearly taken wrong by you..sorry tadpole thnx
coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-02-2009, 10:40 AM   #26
Blue Ringed Angel

coldshot has a reputation beyond reputecoldshot has a reputation beyond reputecoldshot has a reputation beyond reputecoldshot has a reputation beyond reputecoldshot has a reputation beyond reputecoldshot has a reputation beyond reputecoldshot has a reputation beyond reputecoldshot has a reputation beyond reputecoldshot has a reputation beyond reputecoldshot has a reputation beyond reputecoldshot has a reputation beyond repute

gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paro6k View Post
wow. I hope your dentures fell out after shoving two mandarins in a 55 gal. GOOD LUCK. I hope you find them new homes before you starve them both. Way to be rude to people who are just trying to give you advice. No matter what mandarins are very difficult fish to keep and need TONS of LR and a fuge to keep them healthy, whether or not you chose (i mean want) to listen. They'll probably eat out the entire pod population by morning

+K Daniel072, exactly my thoughts.
I only have one ..... wow I just got him and this is a pretty wild thread I am sorry to those who misunderstood the initial question it was how often should I add pods to the tank
Old 05-02-2009, 10:46 AM   #27
Blue Ringed Angel

gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcarrig View Post
No need for tempers to flare please. Everybody gets frustrated from time to time so let's please just answer the question(s) or step away from the thread.
Thnx for steppin in and I am truly sorry to those who read it wrong or misunderstood me in any way...I did watch her at the store and she was eating mysis one day and brine the next time I went in so all is well and to those who were offended in any way forgive me....
Old 05-02-2009, 10:52 AM   #28
Giant Squid

inwall75 has a reputation beyond reputeinwall75 has a reputation beyond reputeinwall75 has a reputation beyond reputeinwall75 has a reputation beyond reputeinwall75 has a reputation beyond reputeinwall75 has a reputation beyond reputeinwall75 has a reputation beyond reputeinwall75 has a reputation beyond reputeinwall75 has a reputation beyond reputeinwall75 has a reputation beyond reputeinwall75 has a reputation beyond repute

supporter 
3reefer 
contributor 
protector 

gallery

Hey gang. There's no reasons for tempers here. Let's follow Amcarrig's advice and if you're upset, just leave the thread.

Danny, you're kind of asking an impossible question. What is the size of the mandarin? Do you have a refugium? How much rock do you have? What other fish do you have that feed on copepods? How much natural phytoplankton lives in your tank? Do you dose phyto for the copepods? Etc.
inwall75 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-02-2009, 11:05 AM   #29
Blue Ringed Angel

gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by inwall75 View Post
Hey gang. There's no reasons for tempers here. Let's follow Amcarrig's advice and if you're upset, just leave the thread.

Danny, you're kind of asking an impossible question. What is the size of the mandarin? Do you have a refugium? How much rock do you have? What other fish do you have that feed on copepods? How much natural phytoplankton lives in your tank? Do you dose phyto for the copepods? Etc.
The mandarin is female and is about 1 1/2 inches I have about 70 lbs of live rock in a 55 gallon tank my tank is dosed with phyto every other day. She is the only fish in the tank at the time. She also eat's mysys and brine. I do not have a refugium. I do not know how much natural phytoplankton lives in my tank.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:14 AM   #30
Fire Goby

RHorton has a reputation beyond reputeRHorton has a reputation beyond reputeRHorton has a reputation beyond reputeRHorton has a reputation beyond reputeRHorton has a reputation beyond reputeRHorton has a reputation beyond reputeRHorton has a reputation beyond reputeRHorton has a reputation beyond reputeRHorton has a reputation beyond reputeRHorton has a reputation beyond reputeRHorton has a reputation beyond repute

gallery

hey coldshot,
I had a mandrine for a while, unfortunately he wouldn't not eat any frozen food that I tried to give him(which yours does so thats good). within a month he cleared my tank of a healthy pod population, I had allot in my refuguim so I put him in there for a while it took him a week to wipe out the pod population in my refuge. He lasted about 3 months. I was using phyto to try to boost my pod population but it wasn't enough to feed him.
My mandrine was only about an inch.

Just trying to give you an idea on how much they eat.
the fact that yours eats frozen foods is a big plus.
RHorton is offline   Reply With Quote Top

Click Here!

Tags
madarin goby, pods