ad-button

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2009, 10:28 AM   #11
3reef Moderator

Skin: Classic
amcarrig has a reputation beyond reputeamcarrig has a reputation beyond reputeamcarrig has a reputation beyond reputeamcarrig has a reputation beyond reputeamcarrig has a reputation beyond reputeamcarrig has a reputation beyond reputeamcarrig has a reputation beyond reputeamcarrig has a reputation beyond reputeamcarrig has a reputation beyond reputeamcarrig has a reputation beyond reputeamcarrig has a reputation beyond repute

supporter 
3reefer 
contributor 

gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldshot View Post
Okay six post later stil no answer except a bunch of opinions I will try again...
I bought some Cheato 6 week's or so ago. I went day before yesterday and bought a Mandarin. The Cheato and all are in my D.T. How long before I would need to add more pod's and how often should I do this?
You'll have to keep an eye on the population for a little while before making such a determination. Once you figure out how much your fish eats during a particular period of time, you'll know when it's time to replenish your supply. In the meantime, try to get your dragonette to eat frozen mysis shrimp so that if you ever do "run out" of pods, it will not starve to death. Keep in mind that all fish eat pods so they may not reproduce fast enough to keep your mandarin alive if it doesn't eat prepared foods.
amcarrig is offline   Reply With Quote Top

Click Here!
Old 05-01-2009, 10:31 AM   #12
Purple Spiny Lobster

Skin: Mint
Tadpole1mill has a reputation beyond reputeTadpole1mill has a reputation beyond reputeTadpole1mill has a reputation beyond reputeTadpole1mill has a reputation beyond reputeTadpole1mill has a reputation beyond reputeTadpole1mill has a reputation beyond reputeTadpole1mill has a reputation beyond reputeTadpole1mill has a reputation beyond reputeTadpole1mill has a reputation beyond reputeTadpole1mill has a reputation beyond reputeTadpole1mill has a reputation beyond repute

gallery

Quote:
Okay six post later stil no answer except a bunch of opinions I will try again...
I bought some Cheato 6 week's or so ago. I went day before yesterday and bought a Mandarin. The Cheato and all are in my D.T. How long before I would need to add more pod's and how often should I do this?
it sounds like your upset everyone just said no to the two mandarins BUT you did ask if you can keep a male and female and the general answer is no.
Tadpole1mill is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-01-2009, 10:41 AM   #13
Giant Squid

PackLeader has a reputation beyond reputePackLeader has a reputation beyond reputePackLeader has a reputation beyond reputePackLeader has a reputation beyond reputePackLeader has a reputation beyond reputePackLeader has a reputation beyond reputePackLeader has a reputation beyond reputePackLeader has a reputation beyond reputePackLeader has a reputation beyond reputePackLeader has a reputation beyond reputePackLeader has a reputation beyond repute

3reefer 
contributor 
3link 
gallery

Probably very quickly Danny. Having the chaeto in the tank strictly for the mandarin is a bit of a waste IMHO. The will need a safe place to go where the mandarin can not get to them, or it will quickly decimate the population. You can either set-up a fuge, or a separate breeding system for the pods (which is very easy and cheap).
The easiest way to get the mandarin to start eating frozen is to start it on fish eggs. Flying fish roe works really well, and you can get it at most international/asian markets (it's used as a garnish on sushi). If it starts on that, you can slowly start mixing in frozen foods with the roe. Mine will now take mysis and brine, but seems to like frozen blood worms the best. And they will eat A LOT of that stuff. If you can, feed them a 1/4 cube of frozen twice a day.
PackLeader is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-01-2009, 10:48 AM   #14
3reef Moderator

Skin: Classic
amcarrig has a reputation beyond reputeamcarrig has a reputation beyond reputeamcarrig has a reputation beyond reputeamcarrig has a reputation beyond reputeamcarrig has a reputation beyond reputeamcarrig has a reputation beyond reputeamcarrig has a reputation beyond reputeamcarrig has a reputation beyond reputeamcarrig has a reputation beyond reputeamcarrig has a reputation beyond reputeamcarrig has a reputation beyond repute

supporter 
3reefer 
contributor 

gallery

Hey PL, have you heard of anyone having any luck feeding dragonettes oyster eggs? Seems like it would be a good food for them and it's usually readily available at the LFS? What about frozen cyclopeeze?
amcarrig is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-01-2009, 11:52 AM   #15
Bubble Tip Anemone

shipbear has a reputation beyond reputeshipbear has a reputation beyond reputeshipbear has a reputation beyond reputeshipbear has a reputation beyond reputeshipbear has a reputation beyond reputeshipbear has a reputation beyond reputeshipbear has a reputation beyond reputeshipbear has a reputation beyond reputeshipbear has a reputation beyond reputeshipbear has a reputation beyond reputeshipbear has a reputation beyond repute

3reefer 
protector 

gallery

I think the idea for the chaeto, is for the pods to hide/ breed in..
That and the live rock, etc.. Thats what I use my chaeto for, And to help keep any nitrates down..

Adding 2 can be tricky.. male/female.. If a problem....
I would separate these two... at least temporarily... leave the smaller specimen in place... re-try having them together, past lights out time, in about a week or two add them back together.. This is usually done in a 100 gal tank and above..
I have seen where they have had 2 females and 1 male in the same tank.. Large Tank.

Larry

i think they were looking for something with facts. only opinions were posted.

My info is fact, and I can list links..... Alot of very good info....

http://joshday.com/mandaringoby.htm
http://wetwebmedia.com/mandreprofaqs.htm

Last edited by shipbear; 05-01-2009 at 05:38 PM. Reason: links
shipbear is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-01-2009, 02:39 PM   #16
Giant Squid

Daniel072 has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel072 has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel072 has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel072 has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel072 has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel072 has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel072 has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel072 has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel072 has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel072 has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel072 has a reputation beyond repute

contributor 

gallery

Quote:
I answered gladly and gave you the best possible answer I could. I think what you are really saying is "not the answer I want"
Daniel072 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-01-2009, 02:47 PM   #17
Spaghetti Worm

sharkyshark will become famous soon enoughsharkyshark will become famous soon enoughsharkyshark will become famous soon enoughsharkyshark will become famous soon enough

gallery

if you insist that it is a bad idea, find a good link to back it up
sharkyshark is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-01-2009, 04:23 PM   #18
Giant Squid

Daniel072 has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel072 has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel072 has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel072 has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel072 has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel072 has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel072 has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel072 has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel072 has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel072 has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel072 has a reputation beyond repute

contributor 

gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkyshark View Post
if you insist that it is a bad idea, find a good link to back it up
it's experience and seeing people that don't want to listen to advice kill mandarin after mandarin because they are so funky looking.
Daniel072 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-01-2009, 05:39 PM   #19
Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Paro6k has a spectacular aura aboutParo6k has a spectacular aura about

gallery

wow. I hope your dentures fell out after shoving two mandarins in a 55 gal. GOOD LUCK. I hope you find them new homes before you starve them both. Way to be rude to people who are just trying to give you advice. No matter what mandarins are very difficult fish to keep and need TONS of LR and a fuge to keep them healthy, whether or not you chose (i mean want) to listen. They'll probably eat out the entire pod population by morning

+K Daniel072, exactly my thoughts.
Paro6k is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-01-2009, 05:42 PM   #20
Giant Squid

PackLeader has a reputation beyond reputePackLeader has a reputation beyond reputePackLeader has a reputation beyond reputePackLeader has a reputation beyond reputePackLeader has a reputation beyond reputePackLeader has a reputation beyond reputePackLeader has a reputation beyond reputePackLeader has a reputation beyond reputePackLeader has a reputation beyond reputePackLeader has a reputation beyond reputePackLeader has a reputation beyond repute

3reefer 
contributor 
3link 
gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcarrig View Post
Hey PL, have you heard of anyone having any luck feeding dragonettes oyster eggs? Seems like it would be a good food for them and it's usually readily available at the LFS? What about frozen cyclopeeze?
I haven't heard, but I haven't tried it either. I wouldn't see why it wouldn't be possible. I started on the fish roe simply because I have heard it works, and we don't have an LFS here, so I gotta get by on what's available
PackLeader is offline   Reply With Quote Top

Click Here!

Tags
madarin goby, pods