little boy clowns or little girl clowns

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by suckafish, Mar 20, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. suckafish

suckafish Montipora Capricornis

im sure this has already been discused, but i am going to ask anywayz...

how can i sex my black corellaris clowns. i bought this pair and i looking to the future to see if i am going to have a baby issue.

one little guy only has two lines, and the LFS ladie (who is amusingly crazy) had a name for it. but i forgot of course.;D

2. Click Here!

3. target001

target001 Skunk Shrimp

i know the osalaris clowns change sex there all born male and when they pair off the larger 1 becomes the female just magically starts batting for the other team :p

im not sure if all clowns have this same thing goin on

1 person likes this.
  4. suckafish

sweet if thats the case i should have a breeding pair at some point.::)

5. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

I was thinking about adding another maroon clown to my tank to create a breeding pair. However, I need to research this further as well. I will keep an eye on this thread. I wonder if it's that easy.......

6. feixjai

feixjai Fire Worm

For the black clowns, they are like the orange ocellaris clowns. And like what target001 said, all clowns are born male or unsexed (as I heard from others). The more dominant or bigger one would be the female while the smaller one would be the male. If they are still small, they would need sometime to establish their sexes.

pharmrjohn, pairing maroons are much harder than the regular perculas and ocellaris clowns since they are so aggressive. I've heard you might need to separate the two clowns into different sections of the tank until the current maroon is use to seeing the newer maroon. This way it prevents the current maroon from beating and possibily killing the newer maroon.

7. MTips18

MTips18 Purple Spiny Lobster

my friend had a pair of maroon clowns that were docile in the first couple of months after being added and then became very aggressive towards the other tank mates later but i think clowns have been known to do that not 100percent sure ask geekdafiled

8. Click Here!

9. mandarin11

mandarin11 Peppermint Shrimp

I sincerely disagree with this point. I have matched many pairs of maroon clowns and have never had a problem with it. Most times people run into problems because they buy bigger maroons to pair with their big females instead of the juveniles. Normally this means that these same people are taking home females to there own female which will guarantee a blood bath. As long as people take home juveniles to match with their other clown then 9 times out of 10 the mating will go off with out a hitch.

I have found maroon clowns to be way easier to match up than percs (and way more willing to host an anemone). Like all things, it just needs to be done correctly. I've had many a pair come together that had a female that was at least 4 inches, and then we threw in a 3/4" male and she immediately fell in love with him and vice-versa.

10. suckafish

11. feixjai

feixjai Fire Worm

Ooh, I never knew that maroons could be paired the same way as ocellaris and percula clowns. That information is what I have read about from the past forums and articles, sorry if it messed anyone up. :-[

BTW Thanks for the info mandarin11.