lfs in tampa that would possibly ship?

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by zackscott20, Mar 28, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. zackscott20

zackscott20 Fire Shrimp

I am here in florida and am departing from tampa tomorrow. I would like to hit up a new fish store or two before my flight. Any suggestions?

and should i ship or can i fly with a fish?

thanks in advance;D

2. Click Here!

3. tom.n.day

tom.n.day Eyelash Blennie

I am pretty sure you can't fly with the fish. At least not with carry on. You could always ship it to yourself from yoursefl.

4. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

If you fly with the fish you have to pay for the fish's seat. Just kidding. I don't think you can fly with fish. You are better off having it shipped to you. Are you moving or relocating? Corals and fins I know ship and that's off the top of my head.

5. zackscott20

zackscott20 Fire Shrimp

no I'm not moving, I'm just town here for spring break! Someone told me you could check the fish in for bagging. How would i ship it to my house in Indiana? what packing materials and what service?

6. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

You sure CAN fly with fish. As long its in a clear container and is obviously alive. Coral is a not though. Let the security people know as soon as you check in, have your reciept on you and it shouldn't be too much of a problem. I would hope on TSA's website and see if you can find the regulation and call the airport office as well.

7. zackscott20

zackscott20 Fire Shrimp

i could not find any info on fish on the TSA website

8. Click Here!

9. ingtar_shinowa

you should be fine anyway. Just have a live fish and a receipt and expect the peon to be a little confused.

It was an article in that free reef magazine.... man I can't remember its name, but the guy has done this a few times.

10. ingtar_shinowa

Thank you for your e-mail regarding the Transportation Security Administration s (TSA) policy for carrying live fish onboard a commercial airline.
    Travelers passing through security checkpoints may carry liquids, gels, and aerosols if these are in containers 3.4 ounces or smaller. All of these must be placed in one, quart-size, clear plastic, resealable bag and must fit comfortably in the bag (3-1-1 rule).
    There is an exception to the 3-1-1 rule for live fish. If the fish is alive and swimming in the liquid, then the liquid is not an explosive. In addition, the container holding live fish may be larger than 3.4 ounces. The fish must be swimming in water that is contained in a clear, plastic or glass container that is spill proof. This will allow the Transportation Security Officer to visually inspect the fish at the screening checkpoint.
    Also, TSA recommends travelers contact their airlines to inquire about any additional guidelines the airlines may have regarding traveling with live fish. For the most current information on TSA security screening procedures, visit our Web site at TSA | Transportation Security Administration | U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

Read more: Fish on a plane