Lawnmower Blenny & Zoas

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by ZachB, Nov 13, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Howdy all - I just recently added a rock with about 40 Zoa polyps. Took them a couple days to adjust, but they're all opening up and looking healthy.

I have a lawnmower blenny that's been in the tank for a few months (crazy, entertaining little guy;D). He's taken to sleeping in the patch of zoas at night when they close up. I thought he was just scavenging the other day when I turned on the lights, but it's now consistent - as soon as the lights go off, he swims into the patch and hangs out there until the next morning.

Anyone else see their blennies do something like this? Think there will be any harm for him doing this? The polyps seem to be just fine, staying open during the day, and the blenny is as active as ever.

2. Click Here!

3. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Mine loves my zoas. Don't judge him by his color. Pretty much the same fish.
    [​IMG]

4. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Hey mission, yours looks kinda like mine!
    I wouldn't worry about your zoa's. Most will close up at night anyways. Mine does not hang out in my corals, but his favorite spot is UNDER my zoa rock ;)
    A few weird things my blenny does: His favorite algae grazing spot is inside my skimmer basket. He somehow gets in and out of there without harm to get at the algae. He has also swam up the return pipe of the skimmer, against the 225GPH current, and into the filter chamber.
    And the best of all, he is inseparable buddies with my hippo tang. If science didn't say otherwise, they would be a mated pair. 50% of the time they are not farther than 5" from each other. They also like to rub up against each other in a weird way, and lately, have been sleeping together.

5. missionsix

It's either a "combtooth" or a "sailfin" blenny. Never really cared for a positive ID. Mine has a cave that I can't put any new coral pieces next to unless, I were to glue it/them. The only coral mine rests on are my zoas/shrooms. He gives me the "stink eye" sometimes. I'd do a FOTM if I knew what it was called.

6. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Nice pic there missionsix - interesting that he's so dark. Mine changes from very dark to somewhat light - guess it depends on his mood.

Packleader - that's great - would never think the two would pair up like that 8)

7. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Hmmm. Mine was sold as an "eyelash" blenny. Coloration looks to be a lot like yours though. I tried for a few hours on the web to get a specific ID on mine but couldn't.

8. Click Here!

9. missionsix

I'll give you karma for a pos. ID. Again, I've never cared. And it's a little different than a lawnmower zach. Same family and disposition though.

1 person likes this.
  10. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Thanks mission :) k+