Lawnmower Blenny

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by m_lacom99, Nov 6, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

Hey all... we purchased a lawnmower blenny yesterday to hopefully help control the hair algae problem weve been having. My questions is, as i've been looking around the net and my books ive noticed 2 different kind of lawnmower blennies, one is very pale in color http://fishtanksandponds.net/images/photo-pages/blenny-goby7.htm
    the other, like the one we bought is allot darker http://fishtanksandponds.net/images/photo-pages/blenny-goby6.htm

Just wondering what you all think, same fish or not. Is there any thing i should know about this difference in color... like pale is good darker one will kill everything in the tank kind of thing.

Thanks for any info.

Marc.

2. Click Here!

3. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

Here's a pic of mine... not the best picture cause hes always hiding but ill try to get a better one later when he comes out more.

Marc

Attached Files:

4. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

5. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

Nope sorry Bruce. Mine looks exactly like the one in the second link in my first post. Maybe it looks darker in my pic cause it was hidden in a hole and you cant see his whole body but he definitly has markings like a lawnmower.

Marc.

6. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

You know, lawnmower blenny's camouflage themselves when hiding. When I purchased mine, it was white with markings, everytime I stop and see my tank, the little guy is hiding and in some occasions have seen him turn half black, half white when hiding in rock. I've also seen bright colors on him. I didn't know they camouflage, but they do!

7. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

You want to see a neat color change out of your blennies add a mirror to the side of the tank. Mine poses and does the "blenny dance" to his own reflection. Also looks as though he takes on his flashest coloring.

8. Click Here!

9. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

Thanks rickzter and Covey. Thats probably whats going on then... hes a little stressed since i only got him yesterday so hes showing his colors....

Thanks for the great info guys....:2thumbsup

Oh and Covey ill be sure to try that mirror thing when hes done settling in. I want to see the "blenny dance" ;D

Marc

10. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

be careful with the mirror, if ur blenny is like mine he wants revenge after stuff like that lol...for some reason my guy is trying to act all tough and bites me when i put my hand in the tank and if i put my face onto the glass lol

11. APC

APC Gigas Clam

Vern, my lawnmower Blenny, changes color all the time...like a chameleon. He has a great personality. Wonderful fish to have!

12. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

A lot of people dont like it because it's "ugly", but those little guys are actually quite fun to watch, mine is very timid, but my brothers blenny munched on copepods.

Two thumbs up!