last fish for tank ?

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by karlas, May 30, 2002.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

i want to add that last fish to the tank. ive asked about copperbands and love them but they would wipe out my feather dusters. thought about a flame angel but have heard of to many that harass firefish (have a mated pair). ive been thinking about a coral beauty or some type of reef safe wrasse. does anybody have any ideas? i want someting fairly small, does not harass other docile fish, or eats ornamental shrimps (cleaner, fire) but has lots of color, and does not destroy corals. any opinions appreaciated

2. Click Here!

3. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

anybody? nobody? somebody?

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Heh. Where'd everybody go? ;)
    I think summer is kicking in!

Well I liked my Coral Beauty. It didn't bother any of the corals I had.

That said, I have heard that some may develop a 'taste' for some corals: star polyps, open brains, etc.. and become nippy, but at the same time I have heard that keeping them well fed helps. The majority seem to be fine though and considered reef safe.

In my experience, they are not much of a problem, mellow and beautiful.

:)

5. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

he thats_crazyhe thats_crazy thought everybody dissapeared thanks for the response

6. ivyspig

ivyspig Plankton

Hi--All pygmy angels are not really considered reef safe. Sometimes when first introduced to a tank, it can take them several months to discover your corals......trust me--THEY WILL DISCOVER THEM AT SOME POINT!! Pygmy Angels are also a little aggressive. You should try (if you don't have them already) tangs, clowns, gobies, blennies, cardinalfish, wrasses (some reef safe wrasses include : sixline, fairy, coris, and cleaner). A good site to check out that has reef safe fishes listed is www.petswarehouse.com/marinereef.htm
    Good Luck!

7. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

A Thompson Butterfly?
    That is a new one to me. Cool! Is that from the Red Sea?

I still think a Coral Beauty is a good fish. Ivyspig is being cautious which is a good thing, but I had mine for 3 years without problems and I know others that have had similar success. If you do some searchs on rc, you will see that many have had little to no problems, while a few have. Your choice, but I think to say that they are all bad eventually, is not true.

If you go the butterfly route, just remember what I said about my Butterfly and my Tang and rearrange your rocks a bit prior to adding the fish so that the Tang might be a little less territorial.

;D

10. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

i do love the butterflies but keep leaning twd the coral beauty or a carpenter wrasse it will be a while anyway but just making sure before buying. maby i can do both since they are both small fish. the carpenter only gets about 3" itself. it will be one of the 2 (or both) ;D well have to see :D

11. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

i think ive decided b/w a coral beauty or carpenter wrasse both are beautiful fish and did a lot of checking shouldnt have a problem with either. it will be a while before buying when i get the extra $$$ but i came down to those choices ;D ;D ;D

12. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

well i got em the last fish i decided on a mandarin i found one that was very healthy and nice looking. i wanted one before but decided not to but since the tank has been going for over a year and i got a good pod population thats what i ended up with. picked him up yesterday i also got a flower anemone it attached itself right away and took a piece of clam today. so hopefully it does well. the mandarin is out and hunting so he should be ok.