Kole Tang Won't Eat

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by Jason McKenzie, Sep 2, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I've tried everything.
    Nori, Purple Algae, Brine, Flake, Cyclope-eez, Misys. Even soaking all in garlic
    He will pick at the LR and the glass but he is getting very thin. There is no sign of illness and he was very active.

Any help would be great

Jason

2. Click Here!

3. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

have you tried live brine shrimp?...i have heard (and had some problems) with tangs and eating...one of mine ate everything and one was picky...if you can get some live brine (if not already tried) it might helpl...also how long have you had the tang? is it new?

4. somethingfishy

somethingfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

When you say purple algae do you mean Graciliaria? I wish I lived closer I have some algae covered rocks he sure would take care of. I've never had a problem with a tang feeding. I've always had good luck with the sheets of dried seaweed.

5. Jason McKenzie

Haven't tried Live Brine. Never though of it really as Koles are supposed to be algae grazers. I'll see if I can track some down.

The Purple Seaweed I feed is Porphyra Umbilicalis. (Everyone else in the tank loves it)

J

6. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

well in the wild they do mostly eat algae and such, but like most fish they will eat most things...i would try the live, alot of people have some luck with it when their fish dont eat...i guess it makes them feel like they r back home lol...also do u know if the fish was wild caught of farm breed?

7. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Hmm,. Jason, sorry to hear that! My chevron (same type a the kole. bristletooth) just loves frozen mysis and frozen cyclopeeze. It also eats the green dried seaweed strips from the fish store.. It eats Formula one and two flakes as well. (so much for being a vegetarian fish!)

Are you feeding the freeze dried cyclopeeze and mysis? Maybe try the frozen? Live brine shrimp are definitley worth a shot as well :)

8. Click Here!

9. 90_Berlin_joe

90_Berlin_joe Fire Shrimp

I just brought home my yellow eye and he is not eating although will see him sucking on all my LR, glass and even on the stalk of my Finger leather picking the algae off.

I feed them mysis, life line, formula one, flake, dried seaweed all with added garlic in the water and food.

We need to find a reason why or what these guys really like to eat. Maybe just too full from the grazing they are doing.

10. 90_Berlin_joe

90_Berlin_joe Fire Shrimp

Jason,

I just contacted a lfs which deal alot with tangs and they indicate that since the Kole espically is a grazer that they might not eat when you go to feed them that they will just graze on the LR and left over food all day long. They indicate that as long as they are active just to keep feeding the way you are. They also mention that you can try to add Garlic and other vitimans which should help.

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Jason - Get some of that frozen Formula 1 (like BL) and 2. Especially 2. I know some bash it for the gel binder (i still think it's good), but my Tang devoured it and was really healthy. I think it's worth trying at this point.

12. Jason McKenzie

cool I'll get some today

I'll try some frozzen Cyclpe ezee as well