Kole tang wont eat

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by Fishez, Dec 30, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Fishez

Fishez Bristle Worm

I got a Kole tang Tuesday and I cant get him to eat anything, I watched the guy at the lfs feed it and it ate pretty good there, Ive tried feeding it brine "what it ate at the lfs" and sea veggies and it wont come out of his hole long enough to eat . It is scared of everything , If it see's me walking anywhere near the tank it hides in the rocks for an hour, this is the second day it hasent eaten anything , and i know its not eating any algae in the tank becouse there is none , it just stays in the rockwork all night and 60% of the day. I guess i could try a veggie clip but im not sure what to put in it.. any suggestions??

2. Click Here!

3. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Kole tangs eat the very small microalgea, not the leafy or hairy macro stuff.  Take a close look at it's mouth and you'll see why they are also referred to as bristletooth tangs.  My Kole rarely eats any food I inroduce to the tank but rather grazes cotinuously eating the micro algea on the rocks and tank glass.

You will need to give the fish time to adjust to its new environment and it will eat when it gets hungry enough.  I wouldn't worry just yet, but do continue to keep a close eye on it.

Congrats on a great fish! Here is mine getting ready to clean the front glass!

[​IMG]

4. CowboyUp

CowboyUp Fire Worm

Craig's right...I also have a Kole Tang. They take their sweet time adjusting to a new home. Mine hid for a while also and was very "skidish" at first. Now he's out all the time working on the rocks and glass!

CowboyUp [smiley=cowboy.gif]

5. Fishez

Fishez Bristle Worm

Cool , thanks for the info.

6. Fishez

Fishez Bristle Worm

well I just watched him go to the bathroom so that means something has to be going in for something to come out so... lol

7. Fishez

Fishez Bristle Worm

Well he ate like a pig tonight finaly, I put in some brine and walked away from the tank so he wouldnt be scared and as soon as I got outa sight he was eating good.

8. Click Here!

9. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

Nice pic Craig. Goog looking fishy.

Jay

10. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Thanks Jay. Glad everything is OK!