introduced a YW Goby - questions...

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by ser_renely, Oct 16, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ser_renely

ser_renely Bristle Worm

I have just introduced a small Yellow watchman goby to my tank. He has been swimming at the top of the tank and has not really ventured into the rock work to stake out a home . I thought they were bottom dwellers? Does it take them a while to settle? I notice that my Blenny is going after him, but its not constant. At what point should I start to be worried? The saddled blenny is about 3-4x the gobys size.

On liveaquria they said they were compatible, but now some are sayin that there are not.

Will a YWG pair up with a pistol from the Caribbean?

Thanks,
    Ser

2. Click Here!

3. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

My YWG went right to the bottom and found himself a home in the rock work. Make sure to have some type of lid on because they WILL jump. My first one died because he jumped out. If he is just swimming at the top he may be being picked on or can't find a suitable home. Make sure you have enough rock. And yes, he should pair up with a pistol shrimp, although it could take some time. The shrimp digs a burrow and the YWG helps the shrimp eat.

4. ser_renely

ser_renely Bristle Worm

Thank you.

I think I have enough live rock, because there are places to hide in 75% of thank. I have about 80lbs, and places to hide, Maybe I will add a bit more.

After a couple more days I will get worried, and may have to remove my Blenny...if I can catch him.

5. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

don't worry about adding more, you have plenty with 80 lbs, I would just wait it out to see what happens, make sure he can't jump. Usually the first few days are the hardest when a fish is first introduced, they should get used to each other in a little bit

6. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

My YWG HATED the addition of a blenny.. They have the same niches in nature, but you have plenty of rock.. could be starved for O2 being at the top of the tank..

7. nunch

nunch Aiptasia Anemone

my YW gobie and blenny got along just fine, until my grouper ate them both. I caught the blenny off a local reef, so I was a lil upset about that one.

8. Click Here!

9. cannedmulder

cannedmulder Teardrop Maxima Clam

My YW did the same thing. Swam at the top for about 24 hours until I started to worry. He was fine at the LFS but when I brought him home he seems freaked out. After 24 hours I worried enough that I took my net to him and pushed him down to the sand. He found a home or at least stayed at the bottom. When he met up with my pistol he has been very happy since.

10. ser_renely

ser_renely Bristle Worm

Thanks guys. I will just monitor them as much as I can and hope he aclimates better and finds one of my pistol shrimps.

I may take the blenny out for a while and let the goby adapt. Maybe if I get a smaller blenny will help.

I beleive I have plenty of o2. I have my skimmer , overflow and fan blowing on the water. That should be enough, and I don't think any of my other fish show signs of lack of 02. What should I look for for lack of o2?

11. morau89

morau89 Fire Shrimp

You might see fish "yawning" every couple of minutes if there is a lack of O2, sometimes the fish will be at the waters surface gasping.

12. ser_renely

ser_renely Bristle Worm

I don't have any yawning or anything like that.

I took the blenny out, as I prefer the Goby at this stage and hope he was not too beat up. he had a couple holes in his fins :( do they heal?

Thanks for the help guys, apreciate it.