I never thought I'd see this

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by Diver_1298, Dec 13, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

I was pretty bummed out a couple of weeks ago because my juvenile oscellaris clown who used to host in my Xenia died. I couldn't figure out why because he was in good health and always used to meet me at the glass whenever I showed up. I found him in the overflow box with no apparent injuries... Who knows. The little buggar used to eat out of my hand.

So, this friend of mine wants to tear down his aquarium and asks me if I would take his clown and a couple of hermit crabs off of his hands. He said the fish was always healthy and he has had it for about a year. I thought it over for about a month and told him no, thank you I didn't want any more fish. But after my clown died he asked me a several more times and I finally relented and told him i would take care of it. Boy was I surprised when I went over to his mansion and found this 4 1/2" beautiful maroon clown all by itself in a 40 gallon aquarium. His wife said she fed it every day and by golly it sure looks like it. Imagine my surprise after being in the main tank for 3 days to come home and see this....

I didn't think anything would host in that godawful anemone..:eek: :eek: It's about 10 " across. So you can tell the clown is pretty big also.

Jim

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

My maroon clown will host almost anything. They are my favorite clowns, especialy the gold bar variety. Thats a nice specimen you have there!

4. Save_the_Reef

Save_the_Reef Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I got two ocellaris clowns that host a 9-10" sebae.

5. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

ya the maroon clowns like the carpets i always see them at the lfs ! thats great news and good luck!

6. Diver_1298

Thank you for your kind words.
    And Thank you too Bruce.
    I've never had a Maroon Clown before. I always heard they were very aggressive towards other fish. So far not really a problem. He shares the tank with a Mimic Tang that likes to hang out with him, and 3 other small fish. We'll see, fingers are crossed.

Jim

7. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

Maroon's are just territorial around their anemonie just like most clowns. My black tomato clown is more aggressive than my maroon.

8. Click Here!

9. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Beautiful clown! My favorite also! But, if it is 4 1/2 inches long , it is likely that 'he' is a 'she';) ;D

Nice pairing! Thanks for sharing!!:)

10. SAW39

SAW39 Ritteri Anemone

Diver,
    "She's" a beauty! My LFS has one in their large display tank, about the same size as yours or a little larger. It seems to move between a carpet anemone and a long-tentacled anemone.

11. Diver_1298

Yes, I know that he is a she :D
    The previous owner called HIM redrider. I tried to explain it to them but after a while they had me saying it. lol
    Thanks for the information.
    Jim

12. NUGIO

NUGIO Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I love maroons too ive had mine for 2 years he loves hosting in a torch leather